Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Omega

Thumbs up Hello Sheridanfine

Hi Ancestralbone and Sheridanfine

Sheridanfine, welcome aboard, all help is appreciated, I am sure Ancestralbone is happy to have you along to.

I think Ancestralbone has landed the right fish so to speak.

On reading through all the replys so far I remembered a conversation with my grandmother long ago in my youth (no counting allowed just accept it was a while back) she said that her grandfather and mother(George and daughter from first marriage Annie) went to America on two occasions to visit.

Senario:

George and Annie go to USA the first time to look around George meets Nellie. They come back again so George can marry Nellie. He takes Nellie back to England with him. (Now another thing my grandmother told me) Every thing goes along just fine until Nellie starts having children of her own and something goes wrong between her and Annie. Nellie send Annie off to Australia 1882 (Annie 17) looking at birth years of Nellie's girls 1881 Grace is born and I don't know if the other injured child is before Grace or after Bertha.

Then 10 years later George sells his cotton mill(s) in Manchester and in 1892 emmigrates to USA and eventually lives at 454 Clay St Multnomah Oregan (23 Precinct, City of Protland). He dies June 1913 and is buried at Greenwood Cemetery Portland Oregan

This gives us:

George Hunt born Manchester 9/8/1835 (6 year difference to yours. My date comes from family Bible)

married 1875 in England? or America? (Annie was 10 years of age she was born 17/5/1865 re family Bible)

Nellie ? born Ohio 8/1853

3 daughters Grace December 1880
    Bertha February 1886
    girl 3 ? alive 1900 census

Emmigrated to USA 1892

Now looking at Quote - "Wife, Nellie, born August 1853, 46 yrs old, married for 25 years, mother of 3 children, 3 children living, born Ohio, father born Massachusetts, mother born Maine.

That is Nellie's mum and dad right? So Nellie was born Ohio.

OK which institution is the 3rd girl in and what was her name and birth date.

I know from word of mouth Bertha married 3 or 4 times and lived in California she never had children so it is obvious that Grace married and had children one of whom had Edwin b 1942, Lawrence('Whitie') b 1944 and Daryl b 1948. (Grace would have been 83 when Edwin was born).

What do you say guys, does this all work for you?

Deirdre

Went into Ancestry free search and found a few Births for Bertha 1886 and 2 for a Grace in 1881

BERTHA HUNT FEB 1886
    Shaftesbury 5a 231
    Calne 5a 90
    Fylde 8e 708
    Bury 8c 537
    BERTHA JANE
    Melksham 5a 130

GRACE HUNT DEC 1880
    None
    GRACE HUNT JAN 1881
    Islington 1b 229
    GRACE LILIAN
    Chichester 2b 416

Can anyone get more info on these to see if the mother is a Nellie ? borne Ohio 8/1853

Deirdre
    Last edited by Omega; 16-08-2006 at 2:13 PM.

Sheridanfine

Hi Deirdre

Thanks so much for the welcome, I was a bit concerned about butting in.

Ok found the family again in 1910, living at 632, Flanders ?, Portland Ward 2, Multnomah, Oregon

They are enumerated under

G Hunt, head of household, age 68
    N F Hunt, wife, 59, still showing 3 children and 3 living
    G Hunt, daughter, age 29,
    B Hunt, daughter age 22

...and the amazing thing is that for George's immigration year, it is shown as 1870. So it really sounds spot on Deirdre

I searched for "Hunt bn 1882 +/- 2, England" living in Oregon but haven't come up with anything yet for the third daughter but I will widen the search.

Also only for consideration at this point until definite confirmation.

New York passenger lists

The ship Abyssinia arrived New York, 22nd September 1873

Mrs N Hunt age 21
    Annie Hunt age 8

Could this be Nellie and Annie on a trip back to US before the girls were born. It is a little earlier than the 1875 for the marriage but I thought a huge coincidence

Yvonne

Sheridanfine

Default Bertha Stump

I have found the family in 1920, showing Nellie is widowed, Grace is still single and Bertha Stump who is shown as married. No sign of her husband yet.

I will look for Bertha in 1930.

Just a thought... could Grace be the child who was injured? and therefore the other daughter is married by the time of the 1900 census.

Will get back to you shortly

Yvonne

Sheridanfine

Thumbs up Found the family in 1881 census

Hi Deirdre

I have been searching and found the family in the "Oregon Historical Records Index" in the 1895 census index, and after finding a Jessie indexed on the same page as George and Helen? and the previous page to Grace and Bertha, it gave me an idea to check the UK census.

Found the family on the 1881 UK census, living at 207, Shrewsbury Street, 8 Balmoral Terrace

George Hunt, Head, age 45, Commission Agent, born Derbyshire
    Nelly Hunt, Wife, age 31, School Teacher, born America
    Annie Hunt, Daughter, age 16, born Cheetham, Lancashire
    Jessie A Hunt, Daughter, age 6, born America
    Grace J B Hunt, Daughter, age 3, born Huxton?, Lancashire

Also a servant in the household.

At least now we know for definite that the eldest girl of George and Nellie was born America.

Will now try to find Jessie.

Yvonne

Omega

Hi just dropped in to let you know I still don't have marriage cert for George and Annie and I haven't heard anything back from emails so I haven't progressed any further with finding Hunt decendants.

Deirdre

Omega

Default forward movement

Hi I have just dropped in to let you know that I have had a break through and now have the chance to contact my living relatives in the US. Thank you all for your help.

Deirdre

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12