Thread: Barrack house

ChrisKelly

Default Barrack house

According to the 1861 census for Montgomeryshire my great grandmother was born in Llansaintffraid, 'Barrack House'. As there are 3 or 4 other families living at the same premises, I assume that Barrack House is some sort of work house or poor house. Would that be correct?
    Has anyone any information about this place?

Thanks.

Ann Bryan

Default Barrack House

Chris.
    Try rootschat----they might come up with your answer.
    A.

Patrisia

I can't help with that particular place but I do know that there were Barracks at Llandudno Junction, then Gwynedd, when the railways were built and extended. Sorry I don't have the date, probably some railway buff will
    They were for the rail workers mainly, though there may have been some 'families' too. There is a Llansanfraid in the Conwy Valley, though it is probably not the same one.
    Hope this might give you a clue.

ChrisKelly

Quote Originally Posted by Patrisia
    I can't help with that particular place but I do know that there were Barracks at Llandudno Junction, then Gwynedd, when the railways were built and extended. Sorry I don't have the date, probably some railway buff will
    They were for the rail workers mainly, though there may have been some 'families' too. There is a Llansanfraid in the Conwy Valley, though it is probably not the same one.
    Hope this might give you a clue.
    Thanks for the reply. The Llansaintffraid I'm referring to is definitely in MGY and would appear to be present day Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain (west of Shrewsbury and south of Oswestry). A short description of the parish appears in the 1868 National Gazetteer as reproduced by GENUKI. Interestingly it mentions that the Llanfylllin branch of the Cambrian railway had a station there, so your hunch about rail workers could be correct. Thanks again.