aroundincircles

Default 91st Regiment - EVERTON district barracks

Hi,

Think i may have found a relative of mine on the 1851 census.

Patrick Kenny b1831 Longford. Private - 91st Regiment Walton on the hill. Everton district barracks.
    H0107/2190 Folio 621 pg 11

My questions to all of you with expertise in Military is;- where would i find out any information at all regarding this regiment?

I am so ashamed to say that i know absolutely nothing about the Army, and would love some pointers in the right direction.

I have tried GOOGLE, but all i found was sites selling Cap Badges?

Thanks in advance.
    x

Reputation beyond repute

Would that be the 91st (Argyllshire) Regiment of Foot?

I don't know anything about the army either although I don't have any particular sense of shame about it.

But aren't you more interested in the man rather than the regiment? The best place to start looking for records is in the discharge papers in class WO 97 at the National Archives. This research guide may be useful:-
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...?sLeafletID=14

aroundincircles

Hi Peter

I havent got a clue what regiment ?

See you do know more than me.

Yes i am more interested in the man, but without finding a little about the regiment (for example the name) I didn't have a clue where to start.

Will click on your link now, and have a little browse. Thanks for your reply. Will let you know if i find anything.

Kind regards

aroundincircles

Smile ?found it

Peter,

Think i have found his regiment (could be one of 2)

1851-1853 91st foot (res battalion) TNA Kew WO12/9290
    1851-1853 91st foot 1st Battalion WO12/9289

I will need to order the digital copy to view any names etc......
    Is this correct? Anyone know?

Many thanks.

Reputation beyond repute

There's a list of regiments around that sort of time here...

https://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/lists/ba1800.htm

Reputation beyond repute

"will need to order the digital copy to view any names etc......
    Is this correct? Anyone know?"

Well, what I would do is first work out roughly when he was discharged. You may only be able to do that to within 10 years working from census records alone.

Then either go to the National Archives and search the papers out for yourself (and it's WO 97 I'm talking about) or try to get hold of them through the online estimate/ordering service.

But I've only ever really dabbled in this and am not an expert - others may be able to provide better advice.

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Just to add to what Peter said, on the regiments site if you go to the 91st regiment page and click on 1st Battalion it will show deployments around the world. It looks like they came back to England for 3 years between 1848 - 1851.
    Keith

aroundincircles

Unhappy

Mum has burst my bubble. She says our Patrick kenny b-1831 was born in Roscommon. Not Longford.

I am desperatley searching for my g.grandfather Roger Kenny b1856/7, his parents were Patrick b-1831 and Ellen b-1835.

So thought i would jump ahead and see if i could find them on earlier censuses. Am waiting for a marriage cert to arrive for an Patrick Kenny and Ellen Mcgrath Liverpool 1852.

So thought that if these 2 were on 1851 census as it was a year before, then it might be worthwhile looking?

Better wait till i get the marriage certificate first......(she says after spending all day on miltary sites!)

regards
    x