Kymbo

Smile Ball, Cave, Baxter, Barr, Craghill

I am a Ball.....well my maiden name is

My GG Grandfather Henry Ball was born in Nassington about 1828

He & his 2nd wife immigrated to Australia on the "Java" in 1853.

His father was William Ball & his mother Sarah Baxter of Corby.

Henry married Mary Ann BARR in 1826 & they has 1 child John Thomas b:1849
    Mary died 1850. Henry remarried Sarah Jane Cave of Caxton Cambridgeshire, daughter of James Cave & Jane Craghill.

Would love to hear from anyone researching these lines.

Thanks in advance

Kym ( Australia )

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Kym,

I believe I can see them on the 1841 census -- do you have this information?

Census: 1841: HO107/812/10 Folio 10 Page 12
    Address: Town Street, Nassington, Northamptonshire
    -- Wm BALL 30* ?Thahand? [can't make out occupation -- possibly "Shepherd"] Y [for born in same county]
    -- Sarah Do 30* Y? [the "Y" has a line drawn through it]
    -- Henry Do 11 Y
    -- Ann do 8 Y
    -- Wm Do 5 Y
    -- Eliza Do 1 Y
    * Ages are rounded down

Regards,
    Trish

Kymbo

Hi Trish

Thanks so much for that. Yep, I am sure that's 'my' family.

The "Thahand" nest to williams name? is that were he was born??

Any chance you could send me an image.

Nice to see so many people who have genealogy as a hobby, are so willing to help others.

Thanks again

Kym

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kymbo
    ...The "Thahand" nest to williams name? is that were he was born??
    No, this is William's occupation and I suspect that what I see as "Thahand" is actually "Shepherd". As for where he was born, unfortunately, the 1841 census only records whether he was born in the same county as which he is currently living or not. For William, this is Y for yes.

...Any chance you could send me an image.
    Will do.

Good luck with the rest of your research!

Trish

Starting to feel at home

Wink ball family

dear kym ,i have just noticed that your maiden name is ball, my great grand mother leighe(leah)constance oneill nee floyd,is buried in melbourne,with her cousins,samuel ball,and mary withers,she passed away in 1967,i dont know if they are related to you ,but maybe this information can be of some help to you,regards david.

hyatt

Default balls

hi I have "balls" in my family
    they were in geelong in 1859 when the eldest son william samuel born was born.
    I have william ball ( father william ball mother ellen furze) abt 1832 birth place unknown married to mary spring ( father james spring and ellen)born abt 1838 both died in geelong in 1910.
    cant find where they came from or when they migrated

Kymbo

Hi David & Hyatt

Thanks for your posts....but I don't think they are the same line.

My Henry & Sarah Jane arrived in Sydney Apr 1853 onboard the "Java" , they then WALKED to Adaminaby, which took a few months. The Java had arrived back in England before they got to Adaminaby. They arrived right in the middle of a freezing snowing winter.
    Henry & 2 other men were employed by John Cosgrove as stockmen & hut keepers. They all lived in a tent like house. Sarah Jane being, if not the first, but one of the first white women to reside in Adaminaby.

Now I am rambling again

Thanks

Kym

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hyatt
    hi I have "balls" in my family
    they were in geelong in 1859 when the eldest son william samuel born was born.
    I have william ball ( father william ball mother ellen furze) abt 1832 birth place unknown married to mary spring ( father james spring and ellen)born abt 1838 both died in geelong in 1910.
    cant find where they came from or when they migrated
    Their birthplaces will be recorded on their marriage, and also their children's birth certifcates.

Digger - Pioneer Index. Victoria 1836-1888
    Surname: BALL
    Given Names: William
    Event: M
    Spouse Surname/Father: SPRING
    Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Mary
    Sex: M
    Birth Place:
    Death Place:
    Year: 1859
    Reg Number: 161

aussieyobochick

hi there,
    henry ball was my 4th great grandfather and I do have some information that may help you alot

1. Henry William Ball, son of William Ball and Sarah Baxter, was born in 1830 in Nassington, Northamptonshire, England, was baptised on March 16, 1830 in Nassington, Northamptonshire, England, died on September 2, 1903 in Adaminaby, NSW1 at age 73, and was buried in Old Adaminaby Cemetery, NSW Grave 227.

Notes: Henry arrived in the Monaro District in 1851 and was first employed at Wambrook Station. He had migrated from England aboard the ship "Java".

More about Henry:

• Religion: Church of England.

• Literacy: Could neither read nor write.

• He immigrated to Australia with wife on the vessel "Java" arriving in NSW April 27, 1853.

Henry married Mary Ann Barr on August 7, 1848 in Nassington, Northamptonshire, England. Mary was born in England and died on November 21, 1850 in England.

The child from this marriage was:

M i. John Thomas Ball was born in 1849 in England and died in 1938 in Rockdale, NSW at age 89.

Henry next married Sarah Jane Cave, daughter of James Cave and Jane, on June 2, 1851 in Nassington, Northamptonshire, England. Sarah was born in 1824 in Cayton, Cambridgeshire, England, died on October 20, 1889 in Adaminaby, NSW at age 65, and was buried in Old Adaminaby Cemetery, NSW Grave 228.

More about Sarah:

• Religion: Church of England.

• Literacy: Could neither read nor write.

• She immigrated to Australia with husband on the vessel "Java" arriving in NSW April 27, 1853.

Children from this marriage were:

M i. William A. Ball was born in 1857 in Cooma, NSW2 and died in 1857 in Cooma, NSW.3

F ii. Ellen Ball was born in 1858 in Cooma, NSW4 and died in 1858 in Cooma, NSW.5

2 M iii. Henry Andrew Ball was born on May 19, 1859 in Adaminaby, NSW6 and died on March 6, 1942 in Adaminaby, NSW7 at age 82.

3 F iv. Rebecca Ball was born in 1861 in Adaminaby, NSW,8 died on October 7, 1898 in Adaminaby, NSW9 at age 37, and was buried in Old Adaminaby Cemetery, NSW Grave 227.

4 F v. Sarah Jane Ball was born in 1863 in Adaminaby, NSW, died in September 1938 in Tumut, NSW10 at age 75, and was buried in Tumut Cemetery, NSW Church of England section.

F vi. Elizabeth J. Ball was born in 1863 in Cooma, NSW11 and died in 1864 at age 1.

5 F vii. Elizabeth Ball was born on November 17, 1864 in Adaminaby, NSW12 and died in 1934 in Tumbarumba, NSW13 at age 70.

M viii. Joseph Ball was born in 1868 in Cooma, NSW,14 died in 1868 in Adaminaby, NSW,15 and was buried in Old Adaminaby Cemetery, NSW Grave 228.

6 M ix. George William Ball was born in 1869 in Cooma, NSW16 and died in 1956 in Tumut, NSW17 at age 87.

Henry next married Mary Jane Burgess-Cockcroft, daughter of Isaac Burgess-Cockcroft and Mary, in 1890 in Cooma, NSW.18 Mary was born in 1847 and died on February 2, 1903 at age 56.

I hope this info helps and we can share a bit of research thanks heaps, Shelly (Australia)