Mortlake, London (where the Boat Race ends)

Question Family Tree Maker - GEDCOM compatible?

I've recently been in touch with someone who uses Family Tree Maker which, she tells me, doesn't save its data as a GEDCOM. I can't believe this is true!

At the moment she's manually inputting all her data on FTM and then doing the same again on Genes Reunited and then... I'd like to try and talk her through it but I don't use FTM myself so want to be sure of my facts!

Can anyone confirm whether or not it is GEDCOM compatible? Am I right in thinking she should be able to upload her data to GR and Tribal Pages at the press of a button?

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Yes .... I had FTM Version 6 and now have FTM 2005, both are capable of creating gedcoms and sending them.

I uploaded some of my family file to GenesReunited with no problem.
    Good luck with your research everybody!

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

If she clicks File at the top of the page in the Family View, then clicks Export and then Save as type GED (Gedcom) and then save the file to Folder FTW.

If she doesn't want to export the whole of her file, then use the Descendant View to achieve the 'bits' she wants, then File, export Individuals in Descendant Tree view, then save as type GED just the same.
    Good luck with your research everybody!

Guy Etchells

Yes most family history programs save to their own file type but most have as Diane mentioned the facility to import and export gedcoms as well.
    Cheers
    Guy

Mortlake, London (where the Boat Race ends)

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks everyone!

Ed Bradford

I’ll concur with what Diane has said about Family Tree Maker. I’ve used that very procedure several times and it has always worked for me. ……….Ed