Reeve99

Default Travelling Families

I am tracing my mum's side of the family and my dad is tracing his side. He has come up against a brick wall with trying to trace a relative who may have been a gypsy or traveller. Does anyone have any ideas as to how he could proceed.

AR

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi AR,
    Start with
    https://www.spub.co.uk/tgi3/links11e.php
    scroll to bottom of page for section headed Gypsies.
    Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve99
    I am tracing my mum's side of the family and my dad is tracing his side. He has come up against a brick wall with trying to trace a relative who may have been a gypsy or traveller. Does anyone have any ideas as to how he could proceed.

AR
    I had stories of gypsies in my family, but that all they were - stories. The truth was that my grandpparents were first cousins and they didn't want anyone finding out the fact, especially has they condoned one of their grandchildren for marrying a first cousin.
    The actual family line shows that the 2 lines had married before them so there was a lot of inbreeding. I think this was a fairly common thing in the olden days as I have heard of others who have come up with similar results as I did.
    So keep an open mind and have a good look at various records in case your gypsy is just a story.
    All the best
    Neil

marymog

Reeve99

Default Travelling Families

Thanks for your help everyone. Links very useful. Will pass on to my dad for checking.

AR

A fountain of knowledge.

depends on surnames and areas travelled. the Romany and Traveller Family History Society can give you a lot of pointers.

I have a site that includes some gypsy Census returns, but it depends what names you are looking for and whereabouts as to if youll get lucky there.
    Most of mine are in the midlands, and Im related to Grays, Smiths, Browns and Pierce/Pearce families. Also marriage links with these names to the more famous Boswells and Herons/Hearns.

laurence.fuller

Default gypsy site

Take a look at this Site "https://www.journeyfolki.org.uk/" they have Many members that would help you, And they also have Gypsy listing from the 1881 Census that you could look up.
    There is another site that you could write to the Romany & Traveller Family History Society.

Lau