razielle

Default Hill - Catholic Orphanage, London in the 20's/30's - HELP!!

Hi,

I'm looking for info on my Grandmother, Ada Florence Hill, (b. Kilburn c1923 - d. Hemel Hempstead 1992). I'm told she and her sisters were sent to a catholic orphanage in London but am having problems finding any with records. There was also an older brother, Charles, who wasn't with them then.

The family home was in Willesden, and I understand she moved to Hemel Hempstead in the early fifties.

Any help or advice appreciated as I'm just starting out with this one!

Thanks,

razielle

p.s. I'm also doing the Greatbatch side to the family (the Hemel lot), if anyone has anything there??

Reputation beyond repute

It's notoriously difficult, if not impossible, to get any information out of catholic orphanages. Following all the publicity in recent years about abuse in those institutions, they have clammed up and refuse to let anything out for fear that another court case might be imminent. For all I know they may actually have destroyed the records.

hackneywick

Default Catholic Convent School

My mother was in St.Mary's ,Shernall St ,Walthamstow for many years. There was a seperate site for boys. This is a first for me, please overlook errors, if any.

hackneywick

Default helpful contact

I hope this helps your search, she was very kind to me. Audrey

Carol Roper ,
    Post Adoption & Care Team Leader
    Catholic Children's Society(Westminster)
    73,St. Charles Square
    London.W10 .6EJ.
    Tel.020 8969 5305