kath

Question Where is Charley Forest

Good afternoon

I have just found out that my g g grandfather WILLIAM HALLAM was born in Charley Forest Leicestershire about 1817.
    Is this another name for Charnwood/ Is it a village?

Also other gggrandparents WILLIAM PACKWOOD and his wife MARIA (no maiden name yet) also came from Leicestershire.
    William b about 1822 in FOX...........(incomplete) Leicester
    Maria b about 1824 in St. MAGARET Leicester

Any ideas where these places may be would also be very welcomThanks
    Kath

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default "Charley Forest"

Hi Kath

I was born in Leicester and I have never heard of Charley Forest. I think that Charnwood Forest is more likely. This is a beautiful area in the north-west of the county with granite hills and lots of woodland (and very expensive housing). Fox... could be short for the village of Foxton and St. Margaret(s) was the largest parish in Leicester itself until it was broken up into smaller parishes in the late 1800s. It is an area near and just north of the city centre. The church is still there.

All the best

Tony

Trevor

Thumbs up Charley Forest

Hello Kath

I have just looked for "Charley Forest" in the "Topographical Dictionary of England 1831" and it confirms what Tony suspected, that 'Charley' is another, older, version of 'Charnwood'.
    There is a bit of history with it, but a probably a bit long to post here. If you would like it, then contact me by e-mail, and I will send it to you.

Trevor

kath

Thumbs up charley forest

Good afternoon everyone

Thanks Tony and Trevor for your replies to my question about charley wood. my knowledge of that part of the world is sketchy. I know it's there but that's about all. I find that researching my family has led me to places i never knew existed and certainly polished up my geography.

Regards

Kath

samhuzz

Default Charley Forest

Hello

Charley is between Shepshed and Coalville, and people often refer to the back road in between the two as 'going over the forest'. It is quite rural, but I wouldn't call it a forest as such. It is only a couple of miles from me. If you want any more information, just pm me (for example which parish it would come under etc).

Hope this helps

Samantha

samhuzz

Default St Margarets

PS Just noticed you were also asking about St Margarets. Much of the area was demolished by the Council in the 1920s to regenerate the area where the slums were and a lot of the residents were moved to the new estates. Mine from this area were moved to Braunstone. Do you know which streets they lived on, jobs they did etc.

Samantha

Knowledgeable and helpful

Samantha

Wow that was a late reply! Now that you've pointed out Charley I see that it is indeed in the middle of the Charnwood Forest so maybe we got a bit of it right 2 years ago.

Tony
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

kath

Default Charley Forest

Samantha
    As Tony said wow it's great to get your message. I have a little more knowledge now - I have been concentrating on different branches of my family.
    WILLIAM HALLAM married HARRIET CLERK in 1839 in the Duffield Parish.

He appears to be have been christened 30 Mar.1817 at Oaks in Charnwood Leicester father ISAAC HALLAM mother CATHERINE possibly HIBBARD but not confirmed.

Now my PACKWOODs

WILLIAM PACKWOOD m MARIA STOKES don't know when

He was born In FOXTON c.1822 possible father THOMAS PACKWOOD mother ISABELLA
    MARIA was from ST. MARGARETS. c she had a brother GEORGE

By 1851 they were in STAVELEY Dby.
    This is all I know at the moment.

These are two lots of great grandparents from different branches of my family.
    One of the things I find frustrating is that ancestors seem to put so many different places of birth on the census. It appears the every ten years they remember a different name for where they came from. Sometimes they use their spouses place of birth. As most of my ancestors seemed to have come from from areas near multiple county boudaries it makes research very challenging but so fascinating.
    My grasp of English geography has certainly improved.

Thanks for everyone's help. It is greatly appreciated.

Kath By 1851 they were in STAVELEY Dby.
    This is all I know at the moment.

These are two lots of great grandparents from different branches of my family.
    One of the things I find frustrating is that ancestors seem to put so many different places of birth on the census. It appears the every ten years they remember a different name for where they came from. Sometimes they use their spouses place of birth. As most of my ancestors seemed to have come from from areas near multiple county boudaries it makes research very challenging but so fascinating.
    My grasp of English geography has certainly improved.

Thanks for everyone's help. It is greatly appreciated.

Kath