Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Julie Tyrell

Default Hill House, Minster

I wondered if there was anybody out there who would know what Hill House in Minster was during the 1920/30's.

Unexpectedly, I have found that my g.uncle Albert LEWIS, age 15 died in Hill House, of Epilepsy and TB. He was from Ramsgate but the informant (not a relative) did not know where he lived. It is possible that Albert was an orphan by then. I have googles 'Hill House' and it came up with the residency for a lot of people who died, so I wondered if it was a convalescing home?

Also, if he came from Ramsgate but died an orphan in Minster where would he be buried. I have tried Ramsgate Cemetery and he is not there! Would he go in a pauper's grave??

Thanks JUlie

Reputation beyond repute

It was the Isle of Thanet Union Workhouse Infirmary (known as Thanet Institution from 1930 and Hill House Hospital from 1948). During WW1 it was also known as Hill House Military Hospital.

Julie Tyrell

Thanks again Peter,

How sad, but nothing surprises me with this side of the family. Do you have any idea where he would be buried??

Cheers Julie

Reputation beyond repute

If you look at the map on the workhouse website you'll see there was a cemetery just up the road. But it really depends whether there was any family member around to claim the body.

Julie Tyrell

Yes,

Have found the website and seen the cemetery, now hopefully I might be able to get some information from the East Kent Archives regarding his admission date.
    Thanks again, your help is always invaluable.
    Julie

Reputation beyond repute

BTW the website for Minster Parish Council mentions cemetery records. Perhaps the same cemetery?

Davran

Hi

I live about 2 miles away from Minster. The old hospital was demolished in the early nineties (if I remember rightly) and is now a housing estate! The cemetery is still in use. I don't know very much about it, but have a friend whose ex is the local undertaker, so could perhaps find out more if you want me to.

Julie Tyrell

Davran

Any information would be great.

Albert Alfred Philip LEWIS age 15, died on 7th July 1930. I am pretty sure he was an orphan (pauper) so I would of thought, on reflection, that he would of been buried in the cemetery at the Workhouse.

Thanks very much Julie

Davran

Hi Julie

Give me a little while and I'll try and find out what I can.

Davran

Hi Julie

I have found out the following info for you from the person in charge of Minster Village website:

"I have no personal knowledge of where the records from Hill House might be, but if the burial took place in Minster it may be recorded although finding the grave could be much harder. You need to contact the Parish Council Clerk, Mrs. Kyla Lamb at [email protected] or tel: 01843 821339. 1930's could be at a point where burials were still taking place in the churchyard at St Marys, in which case any records would be held, I believe, by the diocese of Canterbury Cathedral, although a lot of records were lost many years ago now, at the District Council offices when their archives were flooded.

There are many unmarked graves in the cemetery and especially those who were buried from Hill House as it was very unlikely that any stone was ever placed on the grave. Having been in the position of attempting to find a Hill House residents grave in the past I know this to be true, although all grave plots are numbered the cemetery has a lawn policy so unmarked graves are vitually indistinguishable from surrounding solid ground, and unfortunately they do not always fall directly in line with previous rows, but saying all that it may be if a grave in the area, and hopefully in the same row, is marked this will give a definite point of reference and the plot you are looking for could be measured out to give a reasonably good approximation as to its position, assuming of course a record of the burial could be found."

Hope that's of some use to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast