johndixon

Default Telegraph Linesman

My grandfather's employment is listed on my mother's birth certificate as a telegraph linesman, in Ramsgate.

Mum was raised in Manston Cottage Homes & can barely remember her father. She was seven years old when placed in the homes.

It would seem that her parents were unmarried & parted some time after mum's birth. I can find no trace of either her mother or father after the record on her birth certificate.

I am hoping that someone can tell me whether I would be likely to find any employment records for her father. This would be between the years 1921-1957. Also without a marriage certificate for my grandparents is there any way of ascertaining for certain who they were?

I believe I have found the record of her father on the 1901 census. If I have the correct person, he was born in the parish of Eastry & raised in East Langdon.

Although I do have the details of her mother & have been able to confirm that she was born in Ospringe, Faversham, I have no information on her forward of mum's birth.

I have to look at the possibility that both parents might have been imprisoned . Mum tells me that she went to school one day & it was discovered that she had a broken arm. She was taken to hospital & from there into the home.

Mum is in her 84th year & a little unclear to as to all of the facts. She tells me that she had been told that her mother had died and she remembers a stepmother who was cruel to her.

If her mother had died then I would be able to find the death registration. I wonder in fact whether it was her own mother & not a stepmother.

Good news or bad it has become important to mum in her later years to discover the truth and know a little more about her family background.

Any help in breaking this wall would be greatly appreciated.

Occasionally, just very occasionally, needs an umbrella!

I have a relative who was employed as a telephone/telegraph linesman, and I had some useful information from Post Office Archives. I contacted them some years ago and they sent me the employment records and superannuation records relating to my relative. They did not charge for this at that time - that may have changed! I suppose that is only useful if you have sufficient details for them to trace your grandfather in their records. I had a name and an approximate date of birth.
    It may be worth a look at the website.

johndixon

Many thanks Barbara,
    I have contacted Post Office Archives & found them very helpful.
    If I have the correct person then I do have a year & place of birth.

If I have got the wrong person then either there will be no record or possibly the Archives might be able to point me in the direction of the right person.