Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Keltria

Default St. Martin at Palace/Swanton Abbott

Perhaps I am going mad or this Ancestry thing is getting to me - In the 1841 census of Norfolk there are Places like Martin at Palace and other places that make no sense to me. What I want to know is Villages or Towns etc fell under which district. So if I am looking for people born in Swant Abbot in pre 1841 on the census where do i find out under which place Swanton Abbot fell under.

I have searched and searched - but I cant find anything that tells me.

Anyone that can help me Please.

K

Linda

I would normally suggest that you could try searching The National Archives catalogue

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...ue/default.asp

Click on 'Search The Catalogue'

Enter the place in the first field, '1841' to '1841' in the middle fields, then 'HO' in the last field

Unfortunately Swanton Abbot isn't found, and I tried 'Swanton Abbott' as well, however I believe it is in Aylsham district. I found that info here:

https://www.fhsc.org.uk/genuki/places/

Please note that the list is not a complete list of places, but a list of Parishes found in GRO published lists.

Hope that helps.

Linda

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi K,

If it had said St Martin at Palace it might have made a little more sense. Have a look at
    https://www.norfolkfhs.org.uk/parishe...ch/norwmap.htm
    though some of the names are a little squashed.
    Places of birth are not given on the 1841 census. The best information that you'll get is whether someone was born 'in county'.
    Anyone living in Swanton Abbott on census night will have Swanton Abbott as the civil parish on the index. Or you can just enter Swanton Abbott as the civil parish of residence and get a list of all 501 inhabitants.
    On all census the birthplace should be just that - someone's birthplace. The district aspect only comes into things when you want to know the registration district in order to send for BMD certificates.
    Pam

Linda

Well after reading Pam's response I wonder if I misunderstood the question?

"What I want to know is Villages or Towns etc fell under which district......
    ..... where do i find out under which place Swanton Abbot fell under"

Oh well, perhaps my answer will help in other ways

Linda

Linda has given you the link for finding the registration district for a particular place.
    Follow the links to find the places within a county and registration district for all of England and Wales from here
    https://www.fhsc.org.uk/genuki/REG/
    (e.g. for Aylsham, click Norfolk, then Aylsham where you get a list of all the parishes in the Aylsham reg district)
    Pam

We're getting good at this cross-posting lark Linda.
    We're both right.
    You gave Keltria the link to find the registration district for Swanton Morley - which is what she specifically wanted to know. I was able to expand slightly, especially with regard to places such as Martin at Palace.
    Pam

Linda

Hi Pam

It's particulary funny to me because I don't post too often
    (not enough time - boohoo!)

At least Keltria has a lot to follow up on now

Linda

Geoffers

For Norfolk there's any easy to do this.

Click on the NTA web-site
    https://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/index.php
    select 'Parishes' then the letter 'S' and scroll down to Swanton Abbot.
    The name of the district is next to it.

If you want to know all the parishes in a District, from the home page, select 'Documents'. You'll see two lists. On the left is that for Districts. Select any district and you'll get all teh parisehs therein. On the right is 'Hundreds' - an early sort of District from pre-1837. All the parishes in a Hundred are similarly listed.

Geoffers

Keltria

Thank you for your help both were very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes
    If it had said St Martin at Palace it might have made a little more sense.
    I just read the message which said 'Martin at Palace' so I meant that 'St Martin' on the census might have made a little more sense to you. I've since seen that the thread heading says 'St Martin', not just Martin, so you obviously knew it referred to St Martin.
    My apologies, Keltria, if you read my words differently.
    Pam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast