Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Great Synagogue

Spangle

Brilliant! Thank you Ann!

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieAnn View Post
    # The main Ashkenazi Synagogues in London pre 1900 were the Great Synagogue, New Synagogue and Hambro Synagogue. There marriage registers were microfilmed by the Mormons (Church of the Latter Day Saints) and copies can be ordered for viewing at any (Mormon) Family History Library.

* Great Synagogue 1791-1865 (reel 0094666)
    * Great Synagogue 1865-1885 (reel 0094660)
    * Great Synagogue 1837-1862 (reel 0094661)
    * Great Synagogue 1862-1879 (reel 0094662)
    * New Synagogue 1791-1823 & 1837-1860 (reel 0094668)
    * Hambro Synagogue 1770-1905 (reel 0094667)

Debbie
    But nothing earlier??
    My interest in the Great Synagogue centres around the Harts, Hart Myers, and Moses, my ancestors being Aaron Hart (Rabbi Uri Phoebish), Naphtali Hart Myers and Simon Jacobus Moses covering pretty much the entire 18th century. Naphtali Hart Myers was buried next to his "mothers tomb in the burying ground at Mile End in the county of Middlesex" which I have yet to locate.

Don't forget to look in Church of England records for your Jewish ancestors. I found this :-
    Registers of the Parish of St Olave Hart Street
    1796 June 12th
    NB Rebecca Hart Myers was born in this Parish on the 13th of Feby 1793
    " Maria Hart Myers was born in this Parish on the 10th of March 1794
    " Naphtaly Hart Myers was born in this Parish on the 21st of May 1796
    " These Births are here registered at the express Desire of the Parents Dr Joseph Hart Myers & Leah Hart Myers who, professing the Jewish Religion, judge such insertion may prove useful to Children hereafter

Not my ancestors but Dr Joseph Hart Myers was the son of Naphtali Hart Myers mentioned above.

KittyRose

Cool 5 Cox's Square

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieAnn View Post
    Funny thing about Amelia. In 1861, she's a new mother to Catherine, living with husband William Raphael at her mother's (Hannah Hyams, age 48) along with her siblings Henry (25) and Herriett (21) at No. 5, Cox's Square, Spitalfields, London. In 1881, Amelia is a widow with children Kate (21), Abraham (17), and Julia (11) again at 5 Cox Square. In 1871, living at 5 Cox Square are Abraham, age 7, Catherine, age 11, Julia, age 8 mos., and their parents - wait for it - Andrew and Mary Raphael!!!! Oh, and also present is Andrew's mother-in-law: Hannah Heidman, age 60.
    RG10/503
    Registration district: Whitechapel
    Sub-registration district: Artillery
    ED, institution, or vessel: 3
    Folio: 58
    Page: 33

REALLLLY MAKES YOU WONDER!!!!!!

Debbie

Edit: Hannah Hydeman died Sep qtr 1880 in Whitechapel, London (vol 1c pg 209), age about 70.
    Henry Raphael, age 45, also died Sep qtr 1880 in Whitechapel (vol 1c pg 203). Makes you wonder if Henry was really William/Andrew and Amelia/Mary gave her brother's first name under the stress of the moment... course, it could be someone else entirely... but if it were my family, I'd be curious enough to want to know...

D.
    Hello

I was just browsing this site and noticed your post regarding 5 Cox's Square - if it is of any interest to you and helps with your research, my Great Great Grandfather Eliezer Bostle and Great Great Grandmother Rachel Jacobs, who were married in 1866 at the Great Synagogue, Dukes Place, London, gave their residence at the time of marriage in 1866 as 5 Cox's Square, Spitalfields. This is according to their marriage certificate.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123