Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great Synagogue

rcity

Default Great Synagogue

I have found details of a marriage in Lewis Emanuel and Rachel Hendriks on the 4th August 1819 in the Great Synagogue. I thought as the location was bombed in 1942 all records would be lost. Can anyone advise me if any older records (birth marriage or death) are available which may lead me back to further generations or am I at the end ?

many thanks

Knowledgeable and helpful DebbieAnn's Avatar

# The main Ashkenazi Synagogues in London pre 1900 were the Great Synagogue, New Synagogue and Hambro Synagogue. There marriage registers were microfilmed by the Mormons (Church of the Latter Day Saints) and copies can be ordered for viewing at any (Mormon) Family History Library.

* Great Synagogue 1791-1865 (reel 0094666)
    * Great Synagogue 1865-1885 (reel 0094660)
    * Great Synagogue 1837-1862 (reel 0094661)
    * Great Synagogue 1862-1879 (reel 0094662)
    * New Synagogue 1791-1823 & 1837-1860 (reel 0094668)
    * Hambro Synagogue 1770-1905 (reel 0094667)

Debbie

Knowledgeable and helpful

Debbie
    can you tell me if these films have any more information on than the records they show online?

my hubbie has Ashkenazi ancestors and annoyingly with his grandfather we can find his marriage but not his birth and with his great grandfather we have his birth but not his marriage.
    gets even more complecated a generation back as his gggrandparents according to census came from Germany somewhere in early 1800's

sandie

I haven't looked, but would assume they are more complete - it certainly can't hurt to check, if you have access to one of the Family History Centers.

What are the details on the grandfather and gr-grandfather that you know of? Maybe I can find something in my travels...

Debbie

thanks Debbie

Soloman Franks Bc1766 + Sarah unknown Bc1776
    Belived they were both born in Germany
    1841 census states F for foreign!! both had died before 1851

Soloman had a daughter Sarah bc1813 on 1851 census it says she was born in Germany british subject no record found of this yet.

Sarah Franks married Samuel Raphael on 31/7/1833 in the great synagogue on this it says that

sarah is zelfa dau of Schlomech Zalaman
    Samuel is Scmuel son of Meir HaLevi.

Samuel is down on 1841 as Foreign and on 1851 as born in Germany british subject again can find no proof of being made a british subject.

both Soloman and Samuel are down as Capmakers

Samuel Raphael & Sarah Franks/francs were married in 1833 in Great Synagogue they are hubbie gggrandparents

their son Joseph Raphael was born in 1852 and I have his birth certificate born spitalfields married a Louisa Wakeman ?

his Eldest son Samuel John Raphael was born c1874 Stepney
    I have searched many years either side in the GRO registers and I know another researcher has tried but Josephs marriage and Samuels birth nothing
    all of Josephs other children have been registered

this has been a family where I have lots of information but some quite important bits are missing
    sandie

You probably have this, but:
    Solomon Franks died Whitechapel, Mar qtr 1844 (vol 2 pg 435) or Dec qtr 1845 (vol 2 pg 403).

Gave a quick glance for other stuff, but only found the basics, like census, that you must already have. But I will keep it in mind during other searches and see if I can find something helpful.

Just a note: HaLevi means 'the Levi', which means he was descended from the tribe of Levi.

Debbie

Edit: You probably already know this, but Sarah Francs' father's Hebrew name translates to Solomon Zalman (also known as Solomon), and Franks was a slang term for people from Germany. Have you thought of looking in Frankfurt, Germany for a Solomon Solomon and his family? Also, you might send to his London synagogue for a record of his death, once you are certain of the date - it may give his lineage, where the public record would not.

D.
    Last edited by DebbieAnn; 05-05-2006 at 4:50 PM.

thank you Debbie gives me something else to try.............I have found that although the family settled to english ways of names staying same here in UK the very differabt ways of naming prior to that have rather defeated me.

Samuel Raphael died in 1858 but Sarah didnt die till 1870 but I havent ever found her or Joseph in 1861 census joseph appeared again in 1871 then dropped out in 1881 but reappeared in 1891 makes life interesting!

be grateful if you keep them in mind when doing your searches

many thanks sandie

Sandie,

In the 1861 census, there is a William Raphael (age 29), wife Amelia (28), and daughter Catherine (1) living with Amelia's family in Spitalfields Christchurch, Middlesex. Thing is, William is a 'Hawker of men's caps' and Amelia is a 'cap maker (men's)'. Could they be related? Although it gives their birth locations as Holland, not Germany - but could Deutch for Deutchland (Germany) have been mistaken for Dutch (Holland)? Or vice-versa?

RG9/264
    Registration district: Whitechapel
    Sub-registration district: Artillery
    ED, institution, or vessel: 4
    Folio: 54
    Page: 24

Debbie
    Last edited by DebbieAnn; 07-05-2006 at 4:20 AM.

I am not aware of any Williams at all in family but the Dutch possibilty has cropped up from another researcher but on both 41 and 51 germany is put and one of Josephs brothers Myer emigrated to USA in 1862 and on the US census he states parents are from Prussia.
    I wonder if family could have come overland from Germany and entered from Holland?
    On the 1841 census Samuel says he his from Germany british subject but I havent managed to find any proof of him becoming a british subject!

a definate brickwall

sandie

Hmmm... I wonder if when the enumerator heard (or read) Deutch he thought it meant Dutch. It's might just be possible that William was from Germany instead of Holland, if this sort of error was made by the enumerator. But you say there are no Williams... I just found it odd that he was associated with cap making, when all other Raphael's outside yours are tailors, and thought it might be worth investigating.

Debbie
    Last edited by DebbieAnn; 07-05-2006 at 8:54 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast