Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Great Synagogue

Knowledgeable and helpful

might be worth pursuing I will have a look at this William see who his parents are if I can

sandie

well no luck there another mystery I cant find the family before or after 1861
    more mysteries! sandie

found Amelia on 1881 a widow !!!
    Last edited by sandiep; 07-05-2006 at 10:12 PM.

Knowledgeable and helpful DebbieAnn's Avatar

Funny thing about Amelia. In 1861, she's a new mother to Catherine, living with husband William Raphael at her mother's (Hannah Hyams, age 48) along with her siblings Henry (25) and Herriett (21) at No. 5, Cox's Square, Spitalfields, London. In 1881, Amelia is a widow with children Kate (21), Abraham (17), and Julia (11) again at 5 Cox Square. In 1871, living at 5 Cox Square are Abraham, age 7, Catherine, age 11, Julia, age 8 mos., and their parents - wait for it - Andrew and Mary Raphael!!!! Oh, and also present is Andrew's mother-in-law: Hannah Heidman, age 60.
    RG10/503
    Registration district: Whitechapel
    Sub-registration district: Artillery
    ED, institution, or vessel: 3
    Folio: 58
    Page: 33

REALLLLY MAKES YOU WONDER!!!!!!

Debbie

Edit: Hannah Hydeman died Sep qtr 1880 in Whitechapel, London (vol 1c pg 209), age about 70.
    Henry Raphael, age 45, also died Sep qtr 1880 in Whitechapel (vol 1c pg 203). Makes you wonder if Henry was really William/Andrew and Amelia/Mary gave her brother's first name under the stress of the moment... course, it could be someone else entirely... but if it were my family, I'd be curious enough to want to know...

D.
    Last edited by DebbieAnn; 08-05-2006 at 3:42 AM.

Definately makes you wonder funny Solaman Franks lived at 3 Cox Square in 1841!.

But I am still not sure this family are connected to Samuel & Sarah or Joseph

they certainly all lived in same area but then it was predomantly a Jewish area at that time.

Samuel died in 1858 and they were at3 St Ann street whitechapel then when Sarah died in 1870 she was at Chicksand place mile end but where in between I dont know.
    most of their children were born in Wentworth street
    oh well back to the search

sandie

Knowledgeable and helpful DebbieAnn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sandiep
    Definately makes you wonder funny Solaman Franks lived at 3 Cox Square in 1841!.
    I show him on Bell Lane in 1841. Am I looking at the wrong records?
    HO107/710/11
    Registration district: Whitechapel
    Sub-registration district: Spitalfields
    ED, institution, or vessel: 20
    Folio: 13
    Page: 19

Debbie

sorry Debbie
    slip of fingars meant to say when he died in 1844!

sandie

Sherry

Great Synagogue births and deaths, along with some other transcripts are available at our website. You don't have to be a member to use the service, unlike a lot of the JGSGB databases!

Sherry

thanks Sherry
    have been looking in on your site for a while now I think its fantastic alot of useful very useful info in fact I bought one of Angelas books after reading about it on your site.......Samuel & Sarah are in the book but no extra info unfortunately.
    had put off joining lists up to now but perhaps now is a good time to try one.

sandie

Spangle

Within this thread a lady called Sherry says that there are records of the Great Synagogue marriages etc on her website but I can find no reference to which website she's referring to. Am I in need of visiting my optician again because it IS mentioned but I haven't spotted it or can someone advise please?

For the record I am trying to find more on the Oppenheim family of London, at least one of whose members was Secretary to the Synagogue back in the 1800's.

Thank you.

ok, this is the website that Sherry refers to.

www.
    british-jewry.org.uk/

The bit about not having to be a member is because Sherry is co administrator of a rootsweb mailing list called british-jewry and the website is run in conjunction with the mailing list. The site is absolutely free to access and full of good stuff - I am a member of the list and use the website quite often.

Ann/Ladkyis
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast