keren

Default Phoebe Scotland Missing!!

Can anyone try to guess where she would be in the 1851 and 1861 census, and what name she could have been under???

She was born at 50 Bond St liverpool in summer of 1845 to Margaret Critchely and James scotland, it looks like Margaret may have died in 1851, but cannot be certain as yet.

There is no trace of Phoebe until her marriage in Liverpool in 1865!!

She is not the one shown in the 1851 or 1861, that is Phoebe charlotte scotland born Dec 1844, who is later shown as Phoebe quinn.

This is my last ditch attempt to find her.

Have all the Liverpool census' been filmed? or are there batches missing?
    Cheers
    Keren

Julie Tyrell

Hi

I wondered if you had Phoebe's marriage certificate and whether it had her father as deceased?

Also, do you know if she had any brothers or sisters, as I had a look to see what other 'Scotlands' were born around this time in Liverpool and there are a couple of boys who on the 1851 census are not living with a 'family' but at boarding school.

I just wonder if something happen to either the father and the mother remarried or the mother died and the children were place with relatives or sent to school!!???

I can't see her either - sorry, it is confusing that 2 Phoebe's are born at roughly the same time. I wonder why Phoebe Charlotte Scotland becomes Phoebe Quinn Scotland - thats an odd one.

Good Luck
    Julie

uksearch

I found her first try using just her surname and dob + or - 1 year.

Phebe Scotland RG 9 2689 folio 36. She is a servan.

UK

uksearch

Ah it looks like this is the wrong girl as she is with her her parents William and Emma at HO 107 2182 folio 110. Sorry.

UK

keren

cheers,

On her birth cert it shows father as James Scotland, Mariner, and on her marriage cert it shows father as John Scotland rope maker (deceased)........ I do not know if she has any siblings.
    She seems to have lived around the Scotland rd area, as thats where they married (unless I have my Liverpool Map wrong).

The only James scotland I can find is the one born around 1822 to alexander and Phoebe Scotland M 1802? Liverpool, but he is not my James, he married Ellen Lloyd in 1846, and he died prior to 1851.

I really thought that I could tie my Phoebe up with the above couple (Alexander and Phoebe Saults, which would have been lovely as Phoebe saults' mother was anne Critchely (widow))

[Re: Phoebe Charlotte Scotland, yes she is the one at the Bee inn, and she married Mr Quinn, and is shown as living at his house, and her parents also have her as living with them!! They obv. couldnt let go.]

keren

Talking

I think I might have a link, have found a Phoebe Critchely who married william Appleton in 1846 @ Liverpool St John, have access to the 1861 census and she is still in Rainford in 1861 shown as a widow aged 36 and no children. But does have a servant!

And I have a John Callaghan, Labourer living as a worker on a farm, also in Rainford, around the right age for my Phoebe Scotlands husband. (I know its a long shot)

Any chance any one can look on the 1851 census to see if she has a neice living with her???

Have found 2 more Critchely's in rainford, one Ann living with her mother who has remarried, (Margaret) and another one living with her aunt and uncle.

I know its a long shot, but I cant leave Phoebe without checking under every stone! Lol.

jeaniej115

Default Critchley

Hi Keran

As a newbie I have just been searching all theads and have come across yours.

I have two Margaret Critchley's in my tree one is my grandmother born 1897
    the other Margaret was born 1825 and married William Roberts born 1824 her mother and father were William Critchley born abt 1789 and Martha Pusill born 1794.
    Most of my Critchley's as far as I can tell came from the St. Helens Lancashire area.

Don't know how this helps you with Phoebe but just wondered if there was a connection at all.

Regards
    Jean

keren

Hi Jean,

I dont know if there is a connection, as I have just not managed to find anymore info that what was on Phoebe's birth cert.

There seems to be a lot of margaret critchleys out there, but mine deffinatley says Liverpool on the birth cert. (I think! there is a copy of it on here I believe still)

I will let you know if I ever trace her.

Cheers
    Keren