Julie Tyrell

Default Lost relatives Emigrated!

Having hunted high and low for a mother and daughter I have found out through another recently acquired member of the family that they emigrated to America.

This is a new area to me, how do I find records about emigration in the 1930's?

thanks Julie

Terrie Strout

https://www.ellisisland.org/genealogy...ogy_charts.asp
    Have you tried this site? It appears to be very interresting and may have some useful ideas on how to persue if i find any other sites that might help i'll post them good luck
    Terrie

justanne

Default JUst as a matter of interest ?

Is there any way of finding out if (& when) these people came back to the UK ?

I have a family who 'emigrated' to the USA in the 1920s. However I know the husband abandoned his wife, at some stage & I'm wondering if she ever came back, alone, or if they both came back & then he went back again ..........to his lover!

I have their initial departure record - first the couple went to New York in 1920 & then at some stage the wife came back, as I have the record of her return to the US with their child, a year later.

THe 1930 USA census revealed nothing. I know for a fact that he was living in the USA for many years before he died in the 1960s, but have no idea what happened to his wife & child.

Shawnell

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Tyrell
    Having hunted high and low for a mother and daughter I have found out through another recently acquired member of the family that they emigrated to America.

This is a new area to me, how do I find records about emigration in the 1930's?

thanks Julie

Do you have any information on them; names, dob, possible destinations?
    How much info can yoou get from this "recently acquired member of the family"?
    If they came here prior to 1936 the records should be available through immigration and naturalization services.

Shawnell

Julie Tyrell

Hi,

This nearly aquainted relative is very cagey about the information she is willingly to part with but what I now understand is that Margaret HOWSE (formerly TENNANT/TENNENT, b. 1873) emigrated just after WWII.

A few years later her daughter, Irene Olga HOWSE (b. 1904, I haven't found her married name yet), husband and son Bobby (Robert??) emigrated too.

I have put them actually put this part of the family of the back burning for a while as they are driving me insane!!

Thanks for the interest.
    Julie

Shawnell

Smile

I have a few back-burners of my own, I know what you mean. At least we're not alone in our insanity, eh?

I noticed that you are using the same last name for the mother and the daughter, have you any idea what the daughter's husband's last name might be? Is it possible he was originally from the U.S.? Have you checked the marriage records there to see if the daughter is listed?

Looking at your message their emmigragtion would possibly have been 1945 to maybe 1955 or 1960. Let me toy with it for a couple days. I need a break from my own tree for a bit.

I'll keep you posted on what I'm doing and what I find.

Shawnell

Julie Tyrell

Talking have you any idea what the daughter's husband's last name

I looked through every quarter of marriages for a Irene O Howse without any joy, I think I will have to look again under (Howse, Howes and House - arrrghhh).

I will get back to you if the men in white coats haven't got to me by then!!

Julie Tyrell

I have found a marriage for an Irene HOWSE to a William LINDLEY in 1935 in Rotherham.

Now I know that he was supposed to be a Jew (not sure if Lindley is a Jewish name) and they lived in London, suffering a lot from the bombings during the war.

So I am not sure if this is the right marriage, didn't expect it to be in Rotherham, may have to apply for it as it appears to be the only candidate!!

I have LINDLEY in the jewish part of my tree, so the possibility is strong - and from that part of the world too... oooooh!

Ann
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Julie Tyrell

well Ann, maybe I have found the correct husband for Irene!!!

Another certificate to order, thank goodness my husband doesn't look at our bank balance!!

I will keep you informed....

Julie