Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    gayna

Default thomas white

Hello Wirral,
    Would you know if people had to give their full names on the electoral roll?
    Why I ask is I have found another marriage of Thomas White and Sarah Elizabeth Taylor but this one is in 1915 in Warrington - that seems to be near Liverpool but would they go there to get married?
    I am loth to send for yet another cert - (I have quite a collection of unwanted certs here) until I am a little more certain.

Wirral

Warrington is in the same county, but not what I would call near to Liverpool. You would only get married there if you lived there or if that was where the bride's home parish was. White, Taylor, Thomas & Sarah are all very common names in the area.
    People generally gave their full names for the electoral register.
    Why do you think there is a connection between Sir Thomas White & Sarah Taylor?

gayna

Default sir thomas white

The reason I am looking into Sir Tom is that I have been brought up to believe that through marriage he was part of my Taylor family. Apparently they were too grand for our side to visit and my aunt remembers going there and making a wobble in her curtsey and never hearing the end of it from her mother!! those were the days!!

I had also thought it would be a good way to try and find the illusives Charles Taylors, father and son. According to the 1891c Charles Taylor jun.(dob 1860ish) was at Prince Leopold pub, Rice Lane with his wife Amelia, nee Graham (1860), son Charles Ernest (1888) and his sister Sarah E Taylor (1873) and no matter where I look that is the last I hear of Charles and Sarah E. although Charles is on George Stanley (1893) and Florence dob(1898) as father so I presume he sailed into Liverpool occasionally. And on each cert he is down as a ship's steward.

Does that explain why I would like to find out who Sir Thomas White was?? I have reams on his public life but nothing on his private one - I only know he had three sons because it was mentioned in his obit, I would write to one of them if I knew who and where they are - if they are still alive.

Wirral

I'll look in the local newspaper for his obituary. It will probably also have a report of the funeral, listing the mourners. Wasn't Sir Thomas connected with the brewery trade? If so, maybe that is how the link between the two families came about.

gayna

Default sir thomas white

Good morning Wirral,

I have an obit from The Times and that only states that his body was accompanied by his wife (Elizabeth) and three sons to be buried at sea off Llandudno (I wonder why there) and it does say he ran away to sea - from cabin boy to council etc.

You are quite right Charles jun. seems to have been running pubs when he was ashore and Sir Tom was chairman of Bents Brewery.

Also, both Charles sen. and jun. are listed on different certs as being ship's stewards so there may be a connection there.

Just a thought - in a libel case that Sir Tom fought with Randolph Churchill 1935 there is reference to a George Alfred Strong as his son-in-law but I can find no mention of a daughter or a marriage.

Thank you for trying to help me with my pesky relations.

dlovelock

Gayna
    I know this is an old thread but I have some info on George Alfred Strong referred to in your Sir Thomas White query. Sir Thomas's son Edward was married to Doris Strong who was George's daughter (and my mother's godmother). George was Lord Mayor of Liverpool in 1933-34.

gayna

Default Sir Thomas White

Hello,
    Thank you so much for your message - just goes to show that it is worth keeping old threads (and not just my clothes!!).

As you have most probably read I am still trying to find out about Charles Taylor and I know he was a friend of Sir Thomas White, therefore I was trying to find out a bit about him to see if I could get a lead that way.

So far I have drawn a blank at every turn and I'm not sure that knowing more about George STRONG will help my cause. Should your info have anything to do with any TAYLORs, of course, I would love to hear it.

Once again thank you for getting in touch

mullinjk

Post sir thomas white

Quote Originally Posted by dlovelock View Post
    Gayna
    I know this is an old thread but I have some info on George Alfred Strong referred to in your Sir Thomas White query. Sir Thomas's son Edward was married to Doris Strong who was George's daughter (and my mother's godmother). George was Lord Mayor of Liverpool in 1933-34.

mullinjk

hi dlovelock,
    i have some info abt the strong family, apparently george alfred strong was a friend of sir thomas white,
    as you say he married tom's son !
    the strong family originally came from scotland ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12