Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerbrat View Post
    How would I get photo of his gravesite or more details I am in Australia
    He was buried on 6 February 1942 at the Wealdstone Cemetery, Plot F-4518. Henry George PRATT
    Hi Tiggerbrat,
    Wealdstone Cemetery comes under Harrow Council, who seem to be particularly unhelpful in communication compared to some others.
    https://www.harrow.gov.uk/site/script...5&pageNumber=1
    Apart from having no offices nor members of staff (with a couple of exceptions) at any of the cemeteries under its wing, the website gives you the run-around too.
    Because so many people are now asking about the graves of their ancestors, many councils are making a charge for look-ups. Unless you already know, I think your first action might be to simply send an email quoting the name, date of burial and plot number and ask if they could tell you if there was a headstone or other memorial placed on the grave. Say that you live in Australia and are therefore unable to visit either their office or the grave at the present moment and say please very nicely.
    If you get an equally nice reply back , you will at least know whether there is a headstone, or perhaps a vase, though either may have suffered the ravages of time and be in a pretty sorry state.
    From what I can find from googling, burials are no longer taking place at Wealdstone, and the cemetery is now classed as an Historic Green Space.
    https://www.londongardenstrust.org/in...sitelist.htm#W
    so a lot of it may have been allowed to 'return to nature'. It might be worth a PM to Kate the originator of this thread to ask if she's ever been to the cemetery.
    Pam

SeaCopRimmer

Here in Southport our local Crematorium hold the details of all the non-church cemeteries and are helpful in giving information about grave sites and details of those contained in a particular grave. Also, the Cemetery/Crematorium in Barrow-in-Furness is also very helpful so it's always worth a try contacting them - as said before though some of them are getting a bit 'anti' family historians but unfortunately it's the only route for some of us

Tony Tunstall

Default Unconsecrated ground burials

In the Catholic church one reason for being buried in such was a suicide, I should imagine that would be covered by the Anglican church. Another reason would be if a person was known to have dealt in witchcraft or any such activities.

Cassandra

Default unconsecrated ground

I understood that unconsecrated ground was also used for people who had committed suidide.

But the other question regarding stillborn children it was the practice that they were buried within the coffins of people (not related) who had died around the same time. My own sister was one of those, Because they hadn't taken a breath they were not deamed to have ever lived.

Cassandra

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Etchells View Post
    Let me clear up a common mis-conception before dealing with the question in hand.

There is nothing to stop unbaptised babies, infants, children or adults being buried in consecrated ground.
    Over the years thousands of bodies of unbaptised people were buried in Church of England churchyards let alone cemeteries.
    Do not forget every person who lives in a parish has the undisputed right to be buried in the churchyard (if it is still open to burials), no matter who they are or what, if anything they believe.

Cemeteries are divided into two sections.
    Consecrated: This section is consecrated on opening and is mainly used for Church of England burials.
    Un-consecrated: This section the individual plots are consecrated shortly before each burial (if the particular faith requires) and is mainly used for faiths (and non-believers) other than Church of England burials.
    Cheers
    Guy
    Thanks Gury for your explanation. My gg grandfather was buried in unconsecrated ground in Brent Cemetery by a Roman Catholic priest as that was his failth.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

But isn't it great that GOD takes his own whether some 'earthly chap' blessed the ground or not?

At least, I like to think so.

Summer

My GX4 Grandfather died at Tynemouth Union Workhouse and was buried in "unconsecrated ground" in Preston cemetery - I assumed this meant the ground was not blessed by clergy of any discription, so have found the answers here interesting. When I contacted the Nth Tyneside Council for further details, they said the grave was not purchased, had no headstone and had another chappy in there as well after George was buried. So maybe $$ is a big factor as to where you "end up"?? I agree with Waitabit, and you'll reap what you sow down here!!!

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    I assumed this meant the ground was not blessed by clergy of any discription
    No. It refers to consecration by the established church.

Summer

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    No. It refers to consecration by the established church.
    Hence the past tense - I have been educated in this thread!

Tony Tunstall

Default Unconsecrated Ground

Whatever is intended when a person is buried in unconsecrated ground is carried in the fact that they are in unconsecrated ground. What it means decades and centuries later to those of us looking for our forebears is that we are presented with a mystery. Most people think that all these burials carry some sort of stigma which I can't reconcile with reality as we know it in the 21st century. After all those fighting men who fell in some God forsaken and now forgotten land were hardly in consecrated ground and yet the site is revered in their memory. I think that this device was a ploy used by the church as a threat to those living in order to keep them in line.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast