Linda

Default Rich people in the 1915-1920's?

My grandmother's sister wrote about her childhood, saying that her family were "poor, very poor". She was born in Plumstead, Kent in 1913. Her father was a bricklayer and her mother was a dressmaker, and they had 8 children - 6 girls and 2 boys, born between 1901 and 1914. The older girls went out to service when they reached 14.

I was quite amazed at part of the account of their life - for "holidays", they used to visit a "rich uncle and aunt in Wimbledon, they had a posh house and 2 children. He was a .........dustman!!" !

Hands up anyone who has met a rich dustman

My great grandparents must indeed have been very poor.

Linda

Londonwhay

Quote Originally Posted by Linda
    Hands up anyone who has met a rich dustman
    Linda
    Don't know about then Linda, but now in my area there is a waiting list of applicants for the job because it is so well paid!

Glenda

ziksby

Reminds me of Alfred Doolittle, Shaw's archetypical London dustman in Pygmalion (My Fair Lady) ....... (trying to get Prof. Higgins to give him a fiver in exchange for his daughter, Eliza).

PICKERING: Have you no morals, man?
    DOOLITTLE[unabashed]: Cant afford them, Governor. Neither could you if you was as poor as me ....

Later ....
    DOOLITTLE: What am I, Govenors both? I ask you, what am I? I'm one of the undeserving poor: that's what I am.