Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ozEgal

Default Assisted Immigration records

Hi, I am looking for details on my g-g grandfather John Osborne D'arcy who came to Australia in 1876. I have the information on his passage, his marriage when he got to Australia and also have his death certificate. All of these state that he was born in England around 1855 and and that his fathers name was Anthony.I can not find any on the british census with matching fathers name. I was just wondering if it was possible that he was actually Irish and passed himself off as English? And also does anyone know if there are records kept in England on passengers to Australia? or would the Australian government keep all that info as he was an assisted immigrant?
    Thanks
    Julie

Carrie Meerten

Default Australia Immigration Records

Quote Originally Posted by ozEgal
    or would the Australian government keep all that info as he was an assisted immigrant?
    here is the contact details for Australia. Email them the information that you have or if you are in Australia, ph the toll free number.
    https://www.prov.vic.gov.au/contact.asp

ozEgal

Default Assisted Immigration

Hi Carrie, thanks for replying, I am in NSW. John D'arcy went to Adelaide on board the Benan. So Australia is the one that holds the details?
    Julie

Carrie Meerten

I do know that they should hold details as I have a family that immigrated to Australia from Holland (Netherlands) and have purchased a copy of the WHOLE file. $25, I think from memory and it contained photos, medicals etc.....

I wouldn't think that UK would have any as they would have had to apply to Australia for immigration approval.

All you can do is phone and ask. Make sure that you have all details at hand though. What have you got to lose.... and its a free call.

Make sure that you post in this thread though to let me know how you went, plzzzz.

Procat

Hi OzEgal

You may find this link useful:

https://www.saghs.org.au/ships/shipsB.htm

I would suggest emailing them to see if they have the microfilm of the shipping documents for the voyage. Their research fees seem reasonable.

If they have the microfilm it will probably show his name, age, port of arrival/departure, occupation, who he travelled with and possibly his parents names and who he went to on arrival in Australia.

The information can vary from voyage to voyage.
    Last edited by Procat; 27-03-2006 at 1:38 PM.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by ozEgal
    And also does anyone know if there are records kept in England on passengers to Australia? or would the Australian government keep all that info as he was an assisted immigrant?
    If he received assistance to emigrate, the records should be held at The National Archvies (TNA) at Kew, London. They will be in a series of records with the class number MH12.

Unfortunately, this is some distance from Australia - also, the records are arranged by Poor Law Union and parish within that union. So you have to know where he was living at the time and applie for assistance. If you can overcome those hurdles, the records themselves can be very useful.

Geoffers

ozEgal

Thanks for the replies.I already know the port of departure and arrival , his age, occupation and fathers name that he gave when immigrating.It's where abouts in England that he came from that is driving me crazy. Literally a brick wall. That's why I was wondering if he was Irish passing himsef off as English. Would that have been possible?

Carrie Meerten

have you found him on any British Isles census prior to 1876?

ozEgal

Hi, no I haven't found him but I have been looking for John D'arcy's with fathers named Anthony, and none of those have matched up.

Carrie Meerten

Maybe Anthony is his second name and his first has been listed in the census' (just a thought). You might have to have a closer look at them and look at where they were living, occ's etc.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast