Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rubina

Default Price and wage info

I left school in 1966 to my first job as a junior shorthand/typist. My wages were £4.10s 0d which was considered a good wage for a school leaver at that time! My job was in Urmston, Manchester (so not the big City!). The only cost I remember is for a loaf of bread at 9d!

pipsqueak

I feel very young reading all that because my prices don't go back so far. c1964, school dinners in Kent were 5/- a week, which was also the price of a 'single' record. Both went up to 7/6 and 10/- over the next three or four years.

In my first Saturday job in 1973 I worked 9am-6pm, and was paid £1.83 per Saturday. Marks & Sparks were paying £2.20. Around that time, my friends and I could go out for 50p. It was 10p bus fare to travel five miles, 20p to go swimming in the new indoor pool, 10p to buy a cup of coffee in the Wimpy afterwards, and 10p to go home on the bus. Also at that time it was 75p to buy a single and about £2.50 for an LP. A pair of brown leather school platform shoes from Dolcis cost £6.50 in 1974.

That's all I can remember for now.

Rubina

Default Wages and costs

Pipsqueak

I think you should henceforth be known as Young Pipsqueak!

Rubina

Astoria

My first single record purchase was Tom Jones - Delilah in 1968, it cost 7s 6d.
    I had a paper round around 1971, 10p a day and 20p for Sundays.
    My first wage as a trainee hairdresser was £5.00 a week. A blow dry, very new and flash, in my neck of the woods cost £1.00 it went up shortly after to £1.08 when VAT struck.

Barnzzz

I can only comment on the 70's, as I'm so young (oh, if only that were true !) anyway, here goes.... I got married in 1978, when I was still in my first job for an insurance company. My salary was £88 a month and we had a £7000 mortgage which cost... £88 per month.

When we moved into our house we bought a 3 piece suite which cost £200 and the carpet for the living room also cost £200. The insurance company I worked for had a canteen where you could get a main meal for 22p !!!!! You had to pay extra for pudding, but that was only about 7p.

I can also remember at the end of the 70s or early 80s, discarding blankets and eiderdowns and buying a newfangled continental quilt for £12. Last year I bought a new one for £10 !! Inflation seems to have passed quilts by for some reason.

Sue

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12