Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Melbourne Aust. ~ a drop kick away from the Essendon Airport - 9 miles out of Melbourne

Default Being a total owner of your FH Site

MarkJ wrote (21-3-2006)

Regarding getting a copy of your site on CD, why not do it yourself?
    If the site is already online, a program such as WinHtTrack ( or httrack if you use Linux and probably Mac too) will allow you to download the entire site and put it in a folder - where you can create a CD from the contents.
    -----------

Hi Mark

I never followed your tip. Have you done this yourself ?

I'm only on IE 98, can I still download that program and use it to copy one of my Sites at Freewebs. Would it copy all the files in that Site all in one go ?

Thanks. Bill

MarkJ

Hi Bill,
    Yes, I make copies of my own site from time to time with the httrack program ( the Windows version is winhttrack).
    Basically, it will download (very quickly) the whole site. It works fine with Windows 98 according to the website -
    https://www.httrack.com/
    The only small drawback is that the mirrored site will contain a small header and footer (which is in the html) noting that it was mirrored using httrack. Its easy to remove that anyway if you want to.
    I use it mostly for when I intend major changes - splitting up a page into smaller ones for instance - so I have the original in case of accidents

Mark
    Last edited by MarkJ; 26-06-2006 at 9:10 AM. Reason: double text bug :(

Guy Etchells

Strange, don't you keep a copy of your site on your computer?

I would certainly recommend keeping a back-up copy of your web site in case the server it is hosted on develops a fault.
    Even if the hosting company provides a back-up service it may not be as up to date as your site was.
    Cheers
    Guy

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Etchells
    Strange, don't you keep a copy of your site on your computer?

I would certainly recommend keeping a back-up copy of your web site in case the server it is hosted on develops a fault.
    Even if the hosting company provides a back-up service it may not be as up to date as your site was.
    Cheers
    Guy
    I do Guy, but I like to fiddle around with the layout at times - and a copy of it, which I grab via httrack for convenience - is useful for me. I do run a few different sites and have several computers with all sorts of bits and pieces on.
    I certainly would not trust the server backups - although I am sure they do their best.
    Mark

Ed Bradford

I’m a novice when it comes to web sites. I have a couple of personal sites which are not very elaborate that I maintain. I keep two copies of each web site in folders on my workstation that are called “current web site” and “work in progress.” When I want to make changes to my web site I start off making them in the”work in progress” folder. After I’m satisfied with the changes and have tested them, I transfer them to the web site and test them again. Once they have been up on the web site and have run successfully for a couple days, I copy the contents of the “work in progress” folder to the “current web site” folder. Also on a weekly basis or when I’ve made significant changes to some of my files, I copy the files, favorites and the emails of my workstation to another computer that I use for storage. In addition, on a monthly basis I copy everything to DVDs and store them in a fireproof safe.

I’m paranoid about loosing data because I’ve lost a couple hard drives over the years and each occurrence was devastating. Is there anything else that I should be doing?

.............Ed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12