Tambo2202

Default Is Scredington near Syston?

I have a Barnes family from Syston Lincs and am trying to find the next generation. I have found a possible link and am wondering if Scredington is near Syston? I live in Australia and have no idea!

Thanks,

Tammie

Carrie Meerten

Talking maps

Hi Tammie

I also am in Australia and find the following maps very useful in finding out where places/counties are.

Multimap.com (a worldwide map) https://www.multimap.com/map/home.cgi...dvanced=&db=GB

Happy hunting......

Carrie

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Tammie,
    Something I find incredibly useful when used in conjunction with the maps is
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Gazetteer/
    After you've done 'search', click on the OS Grid number, and at the bottom of the next page you get 'how far away is xxx'. Click on the link, enter the relevant place, and it will tell you the distance and the direction of the second place from the first. e.g. Scredington is 10.5 miles east of Syston as the crow flies.
    On the same page as the 'how far away' link is a 'nearby places' link. The page is set to show places within 5 miles but the distance can be altered.
    Pam Downes

Knowledgeable and helpful

There is a Syston in Leicestershire. Could the Lincs bit be a mis-translation by any chance...Lincs and Leics are the two abbreviations used?
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

Tambo2202

Thanks for the links! I will check them out.
    The Syston I want is in Lincs for sure, I have found one of my families there, I am now trying to go back another generation if it is possible.

Thanks again.