Lucy-Anne Cranmore

Default Purley Station,Surrey?

Can anyone help me with a brick wall and help me find information about my grandfather please? All I know about him was that his name was William Haynes, he worked on the railway possibly based at Purley.On my mothers marriage certificate 1947, he was a railway inspector?? and on my Grandmothers death certificate,1938, he was a train driver?? He was living in Churchill Road, Croyden between 1907 and 1920.
    With many thanks
    Lucy-Anne

Reputation beyond repute

It's not immediately obvious to me what the brick wall is.

Is there some problem in getting hold of your grandparents' marriage certificate? And then is there a problem finding it his birth?

It's very difficult to help without knowing what the nature of the problem is.

Lucy-Anne Cranmore

Default William Haynes

I have been unable to find a marriage certificate for William Haynes to Emily Little, I have been searching for 25 years!!!!!!!! Without one I have no idea where he came from or who his father was.My late mother said he left them in about 1920.
    Lucy-Anne

David Schenck

Default Re William Haynes Railway Employee

Hello Lucy-Ann

Seeing that you have been struggling to find information for 25 years, I thought that I may be able to help, this being a hobby of mine - although this is my first time on this British Genealogy website.

Having conducted some research, I am rather puzzled by some of my results and would first like to be sure that you feel that the following is the right person : -

I have birth details and other information regarding a "William Charles Haynes", born in 1873 in the Croydon District (to which town Purley is adjacent).

He was later listed as a "Plate Maker" employed by the famous London, Brighton & South Coast Railway. A Plate Maker is responsible for laying and repairing the railway track. The 'Plate' is the metal device that connects the rails to the sleepers, at the same time allowing the rails to move lengthwise to accomodate the expansion and contraction caused by changes in temperature.
    It is an occupation that has to be performed with meticulous care, as lives depend on it. This appears to be compatible with your William Haynes's later 'promotions' mentioned in your postings

If you feel reasonably confident that this William Charles Haynes is your grandfather, then I will happy to send you the remaining information.

Would you also be kind enough to let me know the name and year of birth of the first child of William and your grandmother. This is often a good guide to the year of a marriage and may also enable me to check on my concerns.

If you wish you can also e-mail me direct at [email protected]

With warm good wishes,

David
    (David H J Schenck in the County of Surrey, England)
    Last edited by David Schenck; 21-06-2006 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Accidentally duplicated.