Liza

Question What is a "Compositor" ??

One of my ancestors is described as a "Compositor". I have a vague notion that this is something to do with printing but can anyone tell me what exactly it involved??
    LIZA

Occasionally, just very occasionally, needs an umbrella!

It is something to do with type setting for printing - but I'm sure someone will come up with a more detailed explanation ....!!

JanM

Yes, a compositor is/was the person who inset each letter of a word into the frames for printing. These days I think it's all done on computer.

Philippa Todd

Default Past Occupations

The following link is most helpful when it comes to looking up past occupations: https://www.gendocs.demon.co.uk/trades.html

Regards
    Philippa

Clive Blackaby

Quote Originally Posted by JanM
    Yes, a compositor is/was the person who inset each letter of a word into the frames for printing. These days I think it's all done on computer.
    That's absolutely right. My brother, now approaching retirement, must have been amongst the last of those apprenticed to this skilled trade just under 50 years ago. Even then it was becoming increasingly mechanised, and the computers took over some 25 years ago.

It needed the ability to read in mirror image, which apparently comes easier to those who are naturally left handed!