wendyjay

Unhappy English marriage in Dublin?

I'm confused!! I have found reference on the IGI to what I think is my husband's gt gt grandfather and mother marrying in Dublin, Dublin 0184, Ireland in 1845.
    Names:
    GEORGE BALLARD and KITTY MARSH. She was born in East coker, somerset. I don't know where he came from but the family thought their ancestry was London born & bred. At his youngest son's marriage in 1877 he was a waiter in London. His oldest son however gave his place of birth on a census as Ireland.
    Can anyone enlighten me a. why might an English couple marry in Dublin - could it have been military? and b. what is the significance of the 'Dublin 0184' - does it give me a clue as to where I might find a certificate?
    Last edited by wendyjay; 13-03-2006 at 12:29 PM. Reason: change title

Mortlake, London (where the Boat Race ends)

I'm not sure that I can can accurately answer either of your questions - however, my cousin (with whom I share a joint tree) has ancestors from Cork and, when finding them on the IGI or VRI, they are recorded a being from 'Cork 0104' or something like that. I've been told that the numbers related to a particular part of the town or city, a bit like English parishes, or political wards.

Therefore, someone more familiar with Dublin should be able to tell you which part of the city the marriage apparently took place in.