Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jo Simpsons

It is a shame that they will not allow it.

FreeReg as a "tool" to help in searches may actually increase their sales in CD's and Fiche as we all search for documentation to prove.

Jo

Default FreeREG and permissions

So far, all the incumbents I have asked for permission, have granted it, and backed with a letter, which now poses another question for me,(and I have no wish to rock any boats) if I go to any incumbent in a county of my choosing, he or she says yes and gives a letter of permit, what can a county archivists say to that

This is just posing the question, no county in mind,.............yet

Dave

and I will sign my position

FreeREG project manger

Mythology

Well, let's pretend I'm an awkward County Archivist who has a nice cosy arrangement with a local FHS and thinks that you are treading on their toes.

I might say ...

"OK - if the incumbent has given you permission to transcribe the *register*, feel free to come along to our office, we'll get it out for you and you can do exactly that. Our fiche copies are produced with the incumbent's *permission*, but they are, nonetheless, produced by us, not him, and unless he made it a condition of that permission was that we make them available for transcription purposes by *any* non-profit making body, which he did not, then we reserve the right to put limitations on the use of *our* copies."

(Unspoken - and if you choose to go against my wishes then I will simply cease selling fiche copies altogether and *everybody* will have to visit in person)

Whether it be the Bishops, the incumbent or the County Archivist who is the stumbling block, however unreasonable you feel they are being, you run the *risk*, however small, of them getting the hump to the extent that they then withdraw easy access not only to your project members, but to the entire family history community.

Smile freereg

Quote Originally Posted by Mythology
    Well, let's pretend I'm an awkward County Archivist who has a nice cosy arrangement with a local FHS and thinks that you are treading on their toes.

I might say ...

"OK - if the incumbent has given you permission to transcribe the *register*, feel free to come along to our office, we'll get it out for you and you can do exactly that. Our fiche copies are produced with the incumbent's *permission*, but they are, nonetheless, produced by us, not him, and unless he made it a condition of that permission was that we make them available for transcription purposes by *any* non-profit making body, which he did not, then we reserve the right to put limitations on the use of *our* copies."

(Unspoken - and if you choose to go against my wishes then I will simply cease selling fiche copies altogether and *everybody* will have to visit in person)

Whether it be the Bishops, the incumbent or the County Archivist who is the stumbling block, however unreasonable you feel they are being, you run the *risk*, however small, of them getting the hump to the extent that they then withdraw easy access not only to your project members, but to the entire family history community.
    To which I would reply, thank you, rare is the occasion to have a real register out I wiil be along first thing tomorrow morning

vbg

chadhanna

Post Berkshire FHS point of view(?)

Now I'm not sure I'm speaking 'ex-cathedra' on this, but I'm pretty sure my view is not that different from my Society's (I'm past-chairman and a current trustee). Indeed I wrote a reply to John Slann in October last year.

We do value the relationship we have built up with the Berkshire RO over many years; we do not see eye-to-eye on some things and part of our role is advocacy for all Berkshire Family Historians. Just ONE of the objectives of our Society in our constitution is to, "help co-ordinate research into, and transcription of, relevant county records and make them freely accessible to the public" - so we must maintain a different balance to any that the Freexxx projects might have.

Our parish register and indexing projects largely rely on Parish Register fiche loaned from the Record Office and for which we pay a major contribution to the cost of production. These are then checked against the original registers except where these are exceedingly frail. We work to layouts and standards approved by the RO (The RO carefully monitor the times an original register is produced) We know we are not allowed to scan parish register fiche - though clearly as they are the property of the various Parochial Church Councils we know there are possibilities. We also fund courses on "reading old handwriting."

We think we appreciate the difficulties of 'our' Record Office (e.g. income targets and declining numbers of 'footfalls') and recognise that we have to work with them to overcome them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12