Allan Robson

Default Douglas Robson born 1835 Newcastle

Hello All
    I am looking for information on Douglas Robson born Newcastle 1835 his parents were John Robson and Eleanor Urwin, Douglas was a Seaman in the Merchant Service,
    He does not appear on any Census after 1841,
    He joined the Service in 1851 in Sunderland as an Apprentice, my last Record of him is sailing off to Sea in 1856.

Regards
    Allan Robson

davidjmillward

Allan

How do you find out about seaman records? I have Edward Milward as a Mariner in 1810 but have no idea how to find his ship

Cheers

David

Allan Robson

Default Douglas Robson

Hello David
    Seamans records are kept at the National Archives, I employed a Researcher to look for mine, or you can go there and look for yourself.

Regards
    Allan

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by davidjmillward
    How do you find out about seaman records? I have Edward Milward as a Mariner in 1810 but have no idea how to find his ship
    TNA have loads of research guides to help, go to
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...uidesindex.asp
    click on 'M' and then the various links for Merchant Navy. Searching for Merchant Navy records this early can be difficult.

Depending on his rank, you may find a will at Documents online
    continued......

Geoffers

part 2...

If he may have been impressed at any time and served in the RN, try searching TNA's online catalogue:
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...ue/default.asp
    enter a surname in the first field, and in 'derpartment of series code' enter ADM. Remember to search under variant spellings of the surname. What amount to service records in the RN will have the reference ADM29, but other ADM records may also show up.

Do you have any other leads to work on? You might want to start a new thread for any further discussion, to avoid highjacking Allan's query

Geoffers