Steven Hill

Post Local Graveyards

Hi
    The State of graveyards and Cementers are declining quickly, I have found that some 2,000 Graves have been dropt flat since March 2004.
    It is a difficult subject at the best of times.
    The way I am going about transcribing and Surveying the five graveyards in my one place study, When I started this project they had already been transcribed and were available in the local History Library, so I decided to look at doing them deferent way.
    I started by using a Digital Camera and have great successes, it is nice to sit at home in comfort and copy them to Word, although there is some problem with some types of Graves which will have to be done the old way with a paper and pen.
    The next part is to survey each grave with a G.P.S giving a location for each Grave and map out the section.
    So when I have done a section I will end up with a inscription, a GPS location, map of the section and Photo of the Grave, all put unto CD and given to the local Library and Family History Society.
    I think this is one way of preserving the graves for the future, I am open to any suggestions you have.
    Steve

Guy Etchells

Congratulations a worthy effort, couple of suggestions to mull over.

If possible combine the transcriptions & photos with a burial index.
    Add a few wide shots of large areas of the graveyard to give an overall impression
    Upload to a web site
    Cheers
    Guy