Carol G

Question IRESON in shipping from England abt 1908

Hi All

Would like to know if there is any database there of shipping from England to Australia about 1908.

My Grandmother ROSIE CORRY married James IRESON in 1906 (London) and they emigrated to Australia (I am pretty sure to Sydney) in about 1908.
    The only way to search here is to search EVERY ship's list around the time.....there are way too many to look through -I tried and almost went batty.

They came with no family, just James and Rosie IRESON.

Thank you
    Carol
    Sydney, Australia

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Carol G
    Hi All

Would like to know if there is any database there of shipping from England to Australia about 1908.

My Grandmother ROSIE CORRY married James IRESON in 1906 (London) and they emigrated to Australia (I am pretty sure to Sydney) in about 1908.
    The only way to search here is to search EVERY ship's list around the time.....there are way too many to look through -I tried and almost went batty.

They came with no family, just James and Rosie IRESON.

Thank you
    Carol
    Sydney, Australia
    HI Carol,

I've never heard of one. There is an information sheet about Sydney passenger arrivals here:https://www.naa.gov.au/publications/f...eets/fs64.html
    The Australian Archives don't seem to have lists from as early as 1906, so I assume they would be held in the NSW Record Office.

Ship by ship might be your only option - but you could narrow down the time frame by seeing when they went onto the Electoral Roll or the Sands directory, or the birth of a child if they had one, and you could probably narrow it further by eliminating certain ports of departure that you thought not likely.

Or you can wait until some kind people have indexes the passenger lists.

Best wishes,

Lenore Frost
    Essendon, Vic

kmdward

On the NSW BDM indexes at https://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHist...calRecords.htm there is a death for a James Ireson in 1918, father James, mother Sarah. This could be your James, if so, then Rosie remarried a Frederick O'Grady in 1923. Rosie O'Grady died in 1950 aged 66, father Henry.
    If you get James death certificate, it should state how long he has been in Australia and in NSW, which could narrow down your search date.

Also don't forget that passengers could go through immigration at the first port of call in Australia for the ship. So if James and Rosie's ship stopped off at Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne, they could be processed in those states not in NSW. Just a little something to add to the difficulty. Vic has immigration records on line at the PROVic, not sure about the other states.

good hunting.

kmdward

woops, forget to mention at website called Conviction Australian Shipping at https://www.blaxland.com/ozships/
    they are constantly updating and state to have records from 1788 to 1968, not comphrensive of course, no need to make it simple. But might be worth having a search.