Thread: Davey family

dmbaker

Question Davey family

I am trying to track the coastguard records of John Davey who was at Fairlight 1881 and Needs Ore 1901 and one of his sons who was in East Anglia - possibly Cromer

clarefmshaw

Do you know his place of birth or birthdate? There seem to be quite a few John Daveys on the Seamen's service records at the National Archives website at:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/

You can download the records from the site for a relatively small cost, but you need to have a good idea of birthplace and/or date of birth to ensure you're not wasting your dosh. I've found records here for quite a few of my coastguard ancestors, so it's worth a try initially. If you have no luck (the online documents are not yet comprehensive), you would probably need to visit the Archives at Kew yourself - quite daunting if you haven't been before!!

best wishes
    Clare

dmbaker

Default John Thomas Davey

G'day Claire,I believe he was born in Taunton Somerset 1852 but I cannot find any census records to go further back. His son Frederick Charles Davey born Hastings 1890 was also in the coastguard service but I have not found any record of him.
    Di

dmbaker

Default Davey

ps I have visited Kew and found it daunting but it is rather a long way from Melbourne.AU

clarefmshaw

Di, I've found a John Davey, born 8 July 1851 in Taunton, Somerset - service no 56525 on the National Archives documentsonline site (URL given previously). You can download this straight off the site at a cost of £3.50 (not alot in dollars!).

As for Frederick Charles Davey, I've found a birth in Hastings in Q2, 1889, but I can't find a record for him using this info on the NA documentonline service. This doesn't mean there isn't one because I know the records aren't yet complete online (a couple of my forebears in the navy/coastguard aren't on there yet). So it's worth it to keep checking the site.

Hope this helps! And yes, I can see the problem with visiting Kew........

Clare

busyglen

Di, don't know if you have seen John and family here?

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Coastguards/C-E.html

Glenys