Thread: Farm Bailiff

hope full

Question Farm Bailiff

Hello all

It seems that one of my GGGrandads was Farm Bailiff to one W.Pothecary, Esq; Fifehead, Hampshire.
    What exactly did a Farm Bailiff do?
    I would appreciate your help please....thanks

Hope

AnnB

My understanding of the term is that the Bailiff was employed by the landowner who owned a farm or farms, the bailiff being in charge of seeing that the tenant farmer(s) kept the farm(s) in a good state and paid the rent on time. He acted as a 'middle man' between the two, although I suspect he was more on the landowner's side than the tenant farmer....

Best wishes
    Ann

hope full

Hello Ann

Thank you, that's great
    Do you think that he would have been a tenant farmer too, in addition to being employed to keep the others in-line?

Hope

AnnB

I don't really know, Hope. I suppose it is possible that he would have farmed some land of his own, if he had the time to do so - depends on how hard a taskmaster the landowner was

A bailiff would have had the power to turf a tenant farmer out if they were not farming the landowner's land to the standard expected, so, he may have had to take charge of a vacant farm in such a situation, before another tenant was found - but that is my supposition

Best wishes
    Ann

hope full

Hello again Ann

Thanks for your thoughts.
    I'm pleased to have found him and I hope he was a nice bailiff and not a bully. It makes such a pleasant change to discover that at least ONE of my lot wasn't a blacksmith or a labourer

Thanks again

Hope