Thread: NUM Records

Francis Calvert

Question NUM Records

I am trying to find out where I can access membership records for the NUM from the 1800's My wife has an ancestor who worked down the pit in Wigan. I was wondering how I Could find out more about him through Union Records.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Francis.

uksearch

The NUM was not formed till 1st Jan 1945. Its forerunner the Miners' Federation of Great Britain came into being 1875.

UK
    Last edited by uksearch; 15-02-2006 at 2:00 PM.

Geoffers

You might try the TUC.

Also, there is an excellent collection of photographs of varying dates (some date back to the start of the 20th century) in:

'The Wigan Coalfield.' compiled by Alan Davies and Led Hudson
    ISBN 0 7524 1724 X; published by Tempus.

Geoffers

Colin Moretti

Hello Francis

The SoG publish a very helpful guide - "My Ancestor was a Coalminer", £7.50, ISBN 1903462711. It lists all sorts of websites and other sources for miners and mining history. The first (local) union was formed in 1825, the first national one in 1841 but disbanded in 1855.

Apparently the TUC files about mining unions are held at the University of Warwick Library, tel 024 7652 4219.

Good luck

Colin
    Last edited by Colin Moretti; 15-02-2006 at 6:51 PM.

Colin Moretti

The Warwick site has this to say:

The principal miners' organisation in Britain is the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM), which was established in 1944. It developed from the Mineworkers' (Miners' until 1932) Federation of Great Britain (MFGB), a loose grouping of local associations founded in 1889.

While the Modern Records Centre holds some records of the MFGB and the NUM (MSS.429), it holds no membership records. The main series of records is still held by the NUM at its headquarters in Barnsley. Bona fide researchers may be allowed to consult the records by prior appointment.

National Union of Mineworkers
    2 Huddersfield Road
    Barnsley
    South Yorkshire
    S70 2LS
    England

Tel: (01226) 284006
    Fax: (01226) 285486

Records of local miners' associations are also held by many local record offices.

Colin