christopher_n_lewis

Default Chart plotting software - drop line charts

Hi
    I want some software that will plot British style drop line charts. By that I mean that a married couple appear next to each other on the same horizontal, with a double line between them (like an elongated = sign). The lines to the children drop down from the elongated = sign. This is in contrast to to the (presumably US) style where the couple appear one above the other, and the child lines drop down from the couple. Hope that makes sense...

I've been looking on the web, and the only program I've found to specifically mention this (with an explanation and a diagram) is The Master Genealogist v6 UK edition.

Can anyone tell me if there are any others?

Christopher

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by christopher_n_lewis
    I want some software that will plot British style drop line charts. Can anyone tell me if there are any others?
    Family Historian
    I am under the impression that most sotware will do this. Some suppliers of software provide links so that you can download trial versions beofre purchasing the full programme

Geoffers

Famous for offering help & advice

You can get these charts in Brother's Keeper, and (if the screeen shots I've seen are correct) RootsMagic, but not, sadly, in Legacy, which is the program I prefer for everything else. When I need a dropline chart I use TreeDraw (produced by a Scottish company called SpanSoft). The version I have accepts a GEDCOM import from any program, but there's also one which works directly with Legacy files - and there may be similar ones for other programs too.

Arthur

Mary Young

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Kennedy
    You can get these charts in Brother's Keeper
    Brothers Keeper also has a wonderful four-family drop-down chart.

christopher_n_lewis

Default Thanks Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers
    I am under the impression that most sotware will do this.
    Geoffers
    When I last looked (about 18 months ago) there were very few programs that could. Good to know that things have changed. And that trial versions are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers
    Family Historian
    I should have though of Family Historian, given its UK origin. I've looked at their website, and the user-groups website, but havn't been impressed. I'll post to the user group and ask for good examples.

Christopher

christopher_n_lewis

Default Thanks Arthur, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Kennedy
    When I need a dropline chart I use TreeDraw (produced by a Scottish company called SpanSoft).
    I've tried RootsMagic and TreeDraw, but can't find a way to do it (:-( Is there some obscure option I have failed to find?

Christopher

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by christopher_n_lewis
    I've tried RootsMagic and TreeDraw, but can't find a way to do it (:-( Is there some obscure option I have failed to find?
    RootsMagic - I haven't tried this myself, and was only going on what the publicity material etc describes. The page gives an overview of the program's features, including Ancestor, Descendant and combined (Hourglass) charts in any orientation (top to bottom, left to right etc) - these are listed under Wall Charts. There's also a screenshot which appears to show some kind of dropline chart.

TreeDraw - I don't currently have this installed so this is from memory, and maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong. For a descendant chart you need to "Import Descendant Chart", which starts a file opening routine in which you pick the relevant GEDCOM. You then need to pick the starting person and set the orientation to vertical. You can also copy and paste to combine elements from more than one chart.

Hope this helps,
    Arthur