Highweek

Default Transferring Gedcom files between programs

I have all my family history on a laptop using Family Tree Maker 6. I would love to transfer it all to my main pc, for which I had bought Family Tree Version 4. Having looked at various posts here using GEDcom I have exported from the laptop and received onto the pc, but, all I have are the name entries and connections to other family members, none of the other notes or data (I know that copies of pictures and certificates do not transfer).

I am most disappointed and all I can think of is doing the following unless anyone has any further help or suggestions
    1. Hand typing all the info across (omg how long will that take!)
    2. Installing the Family Tree Maker program that is on the laptop onto the pc and then sharing the info via the wireless connection

I know that Family Tree Version 4 is now not the newest program on the block, but it’s been in the cupboard and one of those things I’ve meant to do!

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
    Thanks
    Julie

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

If you can hang on until tomorrow, I can tell you how I do mine (including the notes in the Individuals Boxes, where all my Censuses are typed out) when I've entered new info into my desktop, then send it all by gedcom to my laptop.
    Good luck with your research everybody!

Highweek

Smile

Thank you Diane... I'll wait!

I used to have Family Tree Maker Version 6 until last year, but I'm not familiar with Version 4 I'm afraid. When I got FTM 2005 a year ago and installed it, when it opened up, everything was still there in my family file. I don't have photographs in it, but you are correct in saying that they don't 'go' with gedcoms.

My husband bought a laptop for me last month, so I installed FTM 2005 onto it first, then I sent a gedcom (the entire family file) from the desktop to it ....... when I opened it up, everything was exactly the same as the original, complete with all the Notes. I have all Censuses typed out in an Individual's Notes, plus details of Wills etc. and the Marriage Notes have details of the Church and any other info.

Thinking about it, your problem is possibly because of having two different versions of FTM? I did a test just now and in the Export to Gedcom box, where it says Destination FTW and then GEDCOM underneath, the drop down arrow gives a choice of Version 5.5 or Version 4.

In FTM 2005, the Version 5.5 is the one highlighted in blue and I think it was the same in my Version 6 too, so maybe that's the problem? You're sending the wrong version to your other computer? How do you feel about installing Version 6 to both computers ...... then you shouldn't have a problem about getting your Notes over?

It's past my bedtime now, so I'll be back tomorrow to see what you think.

Highweek

Smile

Diane
    Thank you for your time spent on my problem!

Since your e-mail we have now installed FTM onto the pc and via the wireless network and now found a way of reading and amending the data on the pc! Phew… I was so concerned things were going to get “lost” in the system!

I still have the issue of being able to convert things to the Family Tree version 4 (an entirely different program) as they are and donate the package to another member of the family who wishes to start in family history. (Don’t try and fix things that aren’t broke!)

Thank you for your time in helping me
    Julie :-)

I'm pleased to hear that you managed to sort it Julie. When you donate your family tree to your relative, don't forget to issue a warning with it:

Family Research is very addictive!

Highweek

Diane

I totally agree with you! I have actually been researching my family history for about 10 years now, but very hit and miss and having to work around all the other things in life. Now I'm not working it was my New Years resolution to seriously get back into it and start by sorting out all the pieces of paper, update record cards and finally sort out the computer programs!

I'm well on my way now, thank you :-)
    Julie

Clive Blackaby

Quote Originally Posted by Highweek
    I still have the issue of being able to convert things to the Family Tree version 4 (an entirely different program) :-)
    I don't know the program, but if it is "Legacy Family Tree Version 4" the makers clam it is fully gedcom compliant.

Of course different software companies have different interpretations of Gedcom Standards, and different way of handing the extremely flexible format that gedcom allows, and from experience, FTM takes more liberties with those standards than most, especially in the earlier versions

But you should be able to get all of the essentials to transfer. Just that they may not go where you expect.