Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    christopher_n_lewis

Default National Burial Index v2 and Virtual CDs ?

When I buy a set of genealogy data CDs, I like to copy them onto my hard drive, and keep the CDs safely on my bookshelf. This way I can access the data easily (by using shortcuts and hyperlinks) and I don't need to worry about possible damage to the actual CD. This works fine for all those PDFs, Word documents and spreadsheets. Most of the items which come with their own programs also work this way.

Thanks to its copy protection, I can't get National Burial Index v2 (or the Bucks 1891 census index) to do this - I always need the actual CD. I've tried a couple of 'Virtual CD' programs, but with no luck. Has anyone got around this inconvenience?

Just to be clear, I deplore the practice of making copies of data CDs and then selling those copies, or the originals.

Christopher

Reputation beyond repute

Someone claims to have done it -

https://tinyurl.com/3o8kc

Let us know how you get on!

christopher_n_lewis

Thumbs up Result!

Hi Peter, thanks for the link, very helpful.

I downloaded and installed the evaluation version of VirtualDrive 8 onto my Win98SE machine.
    Next I created virtual copies of the four NBIv2 CDs, using the default settings. I followed the instructions included with NBIv2 to install the program and configure it for hard drive operation, but using the virtual CDs rather than the real ones. Everything went smoothly and I can now run searches on the full set of data without needing the physical CDs, whcih are safe on my shelves.

An unexpected bonus is that a virtual CD can stay in the virtual drive, even when the PC is shutdown and restarted. This means I can start the NBIv2 with a simple click on an icon - I don't even have to fiddle about with the virtual CDs!

Similarly I can now run the Bucks 1891 Census program without needing to load a CD.

I am impressed that a potentially difficult task can be made so easy with this program. I tried one piece of Freeware to do the same job (DAEMON Tools) but it is less clear or user-friendly.

One downside is that I haven't found anywhere on this side of the pond which sells VirtualDrive 8. I have ordered a copy of the previous version, and enquired about the cost of version 8 shipping from USA. Version 9 is available ($39.99) as a download
    CD anywhere v 6 will not do the job.

I shall report on version 7 when I've tried it.

Christopher

Reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear it all seems to be working.

christopher_n_lewis

Default Final Result

Good news. Virtual Drive 7 can be used on NBI2 and Bucks 1891 Census, under Win98 and WinXp!

Christopher

Guy Etchells

I am surprised that the Federation of Family History Societies has used such a means for copy protection. I am awaiting them being sued under the recent discrimination laws as the software now discriminates against disabled people such as those with arthritis.
    Without such copy protection suffers of arthritis could copy the data to their hard drives (as allowed by the licence agreement) and then would not have to struggle to insert a cd every time they wished to use the NBI.
    Cheers
    Guy

Frank_Spooner

Unhappy

A couple of points

1) Virtual CD v5 or later (from H & H Software GmbH) also works fine.

2) What is most annoying is the insistance that Disk 1 be inserted (either physically or via virtual CD) when the NBI 2nd edition starts. In a lot of cases I know which year range I want to search but have to insert disk 1 to get the software to run before moving to disk 2, 3 or 4

Frank

christopher_n_lewis

Hi Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_Spooner
    What is most annoying is the insistance that Disk 1 be inserted (either physically or via virtual CD) when the NBI 2nd edition starts. In a lot of cases I know which year range I want to search but have to insert disk 1 to get the software to run before moving to disk 2, 3 or 4
    I have used the virtual CDs to install NBI2 on my hard drive. Then I leave the virtual CD1 in the virtual drive. This means that I can just click on the program icon and the program starts without needing to fiddle with CDs, either virtual or real. Since it is possible to create a number of virtual drives, I have done this with all my CDs which have this annoying security feature.

Christopher

Dennis Harker

Hi,

A newbie to this forum but already it's produced a result for me! I too was struggling with the NBI2 disks as the program wouldn't run on either of our main PCs and had to be put on a laptop in the end - something to do with CD Emulation programs being present - I suspect NERO burning ROM. Following the advice in earlier threads I have now used a Virtual CD program and NBI2 now works on the main PC.

I used a freeware program called "Circle Virtual CD". I can detect no spyware nor adware involved in the program (only used it a couple of times yet though) and it is totally free.

After downloading, install and reboot. HVD icon (it was originally known as Hekko Virtual CD) will appear in your System Tray (bottom rh corner of screen). Double clicking on this will open the dialogue (if not already displayed on the screen). Under configuration I chose drive Z. Then choose the "Create CD Image" option. I named my first CD "NBI2 Disk1" and also chose the option of "Circle Scan". The program will warn you that this may take some time if the disk is copy protected. On my PC it took 30mins to produce the image of the first disk and just a few minutes for each of the remaining 3.

Create images for the remaining disks giving each one a suitable name but make sure the virtual drive chosen is the same as for the first disk (in my case drive Z).

To install NBI2, open the HVD icon again, choose "Insert CD Image" and choose the file name that you gave the first disk. Run the "Setup.exe" file. Once the program has installed you should see the NBI2 icon on the desktop. Open the program and you should be up and running - no disks required in the CD Drive - they are safely stored away. When NBI2 asks for the CD Drive letter use the virtual drive you have just put the NBI2 images into. Before changing disks always go back to the HVD icon and "Insert CD Image" choosing the appropriate file for the disk you want.

When starting the NBI2 program in future sessions you will need to ensure that the CD Image for Disk1 has been "inserted" first. I know one poster has said that he keeps Disk 1 loaded - not quite sure how to do that at this stage but I am sure I can work that out eventually.

I echo some of the comments re the disappointment I found when I received the NBI2 disks. I am unable to find any references to Victorian family members of the four family names I am researching even though I know where some of them are buried. Perhaps I should have read the small print first but I do consider it was marketed as "the answer" and at £45 I feel a little let down. I am currently trying to do as much research as I can using the web and databases since Somerset to Lincolnshire is a good 500 mile round trip and can only be achieved occasionally.

However, I expect (and hope) that as I move further back in time the program will start to produce results.

Dennis Harker

Well, my joy was short-lived.

I ran up the PC this evening and tried opening NBI2 with Disk1 loaded in the Virtual Drive. The program has reverted to non-running with the error message about CD/DVD emulation software being present. I have tried disabling Nero Burning Rom but it makes no difference.

I am not prepared to uninstall my CD/DVD burning program since I need this for my digital photography work. It looks like I will have to revert to the laptop for the NBI but still using the virtual drive program to keep the CDs safe from damage.

In this respect my recommendation for Circle Virtual CD still stands - it's a very user friendly, freeware, program that meets the needs of the initial post in this thread - I will now load it onto the laptop. I will also try and see what happens when I keep Disk1 loaded in the virtual drive and copy the data from Disks 2 to 4 into the Data folder in this same drive. Once the options within NBI to run from hard disk are set then I should be able to run the program without any disk swapping, virtual or otherwise.

Does anyone have any advice re the CD/DVD emulation software message that is preventing NBI2 from running on my main PC? NBI2 installs okay but the protection software is coming into play when I try to run the program (although it worked okay this morning). I think the protection is being heavy handed because I understand that Nero cannot duplicate copyright protected disks?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast