MauriceFarlie

Talking Farlies in Australia and India

I'm trying to trace the descendants of my greatuncle Albert and his wife Elsie. They lived for a while in India (Indian Civil Service or Army?) where at least the first 2 children, Albert and Daphne were born. He died in Hobart, Tasmania in 1985. At least one of his children, Brian, ended up out there too. I have a barely readable hand-drawn tree with about 20 names, mainly just first or known ones, but the person who drew it is now dead. Any help appreciated as I achieved nothing apart from amalgamating it with some records from FamilySearch.
    Any more general ideas on researching British people serving in the Indian Civil Service and Army before independence welcome too. Apart from Albert, my own father served there during the Second World War and I would like to find out more about life in the Indian Army in the first half of the 20th century.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by MauriceFarlie
    I'm trying to trace the descendants of my greatuncle Albert and his wife Elsie. They lived for a while in India (Indian Civil Service or Army?) where at least the first 2 children.....Any more general ideas on researching British people serving in the Indian Civil Service and Army before independence welcome too.
    Try the India Office Records
    https://www.bl.uk/collections/orientaloffice.html
    which should be quite handily placed for you

Geoffers

barrie wise

Default Farlies in Tasmania.

Maurice,

A bit of information on your search - both Albert and Elsie died in Hobart, and I will have a look at the Archives of Tas tonight for more details.

Albert Andrew Farlie, 66, lived at Moonah, cremated 15th December 1965, buried at Kingston Lawn cemetery, section D, row L, no. 25
    Elsie Farlie, 88, lived at Berridale, died 5th December 1985, buried 10th December 1985 in same plot as her husband.

These places are all suburbs of Hobart.

Barrie.

barrie wise

Default Farlies in Tasmania

Maurice,

The following should allow you to contact relatives living in Tasmania:

Farlie - Albert Andrew - on 12th December 1965, suddenly, dearly beloved husband of Elsie Farlie of 21 Springfield Avenue, Moonah, loving father of Dorothy [Mrs. Pash], Daphne [Mrs. Louttit], Brian and Stan, and loved grandfather of all his grandchildren. Late Lieutenant Colonel Indian Army, late Hydro Electric Commission. ref: "Mercury" 13th December 1965.

Farlie - Elsie {Saxby] - Suddenly on 5th December 1985 in her 89th year at a private rest home, loved wife of the late Lt. Col. Albert Andrew Farlie [IAOC], dearly loved mother of Albert [dec], Stanley, Brian, Daphne [Mrs. Louttit], and Dorothy [Mrs. Pash], loved mother in law of Doreen, Jack [dec], Val and Gordon, and loved grandmother and great grandmother of all her grandchildren and great grandchildren. ref: "Mercury" 6th December 1985.

Farlie - Stanley Charles Saxby, 63 Doyle Avenue, Lenah Valley, Tasmania 7008
    Farlie - Doreen Daphne, as above

Pash - Doris Elsie, 17 Stapleton Street, Glenorchy, Tasmania 7010
    Pash - Gordon Alan, as above

Louittit - Gregory John, 26 Summit Drive, Devon Hills, Tasmania 7300
    Louittit - Susan Carol, as above. ref: 2005 Tasmanian Electoral Roll

Any information regarding Albert's employment with the HEC, could probably be obtained from the Public Relations Officer, Hydro Tasmania, GPO Box 355,
    Hobart Tasmania, Australia 7001.

Hope this helps,
    Barrie.

MauriceFarlie

Geoffers,

Thanks for the useful reference. It is indeed quite close though getting there would be constrained by health difficulties. On a good day however...........
    Regards,
    Maurice

MauriceFarlie

Barrie,
    This is excellent - it sure does help, and more than I could have hoped for. It makes sense of a rough, hand-drawn tree that my deceased uncle put together. I have also found Dorothy Pash's records on FamilySearch.
    I had an address for Brian and Val Farlie but didn't get a reply to a letter I sent them a few years ago - presumably an out-of-date address. With your help I should now be able to flesh out this branch of the family.
    Kind regards,
    Maurice

Sarah P

Default Australian Farlie.

Hi,

My name is Sarah Ptak and I am a grand daughter of Stan Farlie from Tasmania.
    I found the posts to 'Farlies in Australia and India' and therefore am writing this post in reply.
    My mother Carolyn Farlie (of which there are at least two in the family line) is the daughter of Stan Farlie.
    His other children are Chris, Steve and Vanessa.

My mother, Carolyn, is very interested in the family history and the family tree and if this post finds you I can happily put you in touch with her as she is probably the best person to talk to.
    My Grandad is still alive but quite old as he is now in his 80's.

I hope this post finds you well and helps you on your quest.

Kind regards,
    Sarah Ptak x

Procat

Hi Sarah,

Maurice has not been active on the forum for a number of years so may not see your post. Youmay be better off sending him a private message - left click on his user name then select the relevant option.

Reputation beyond repute

Sarah

I have an interest in the Farlie family. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't been in contact with Maurice for some time. You're welcome to contact me if there are any family history issues we can help each other with.