Barbara Ward

Question Jack/John Roberts/Benalla/Sydney

Jack/or John Roberts was my fathers half-brother.Born in Cardiff,Wales,UK,in 1900.Mother,Grace Elizabeth Roberts[nee Parsons]He had a sister Dorrie[Doris],two brothers.Cyril & Arthur.He was the youngest.His father was Charles Honeywood Roberts who may have died around 1900. My Granny moved to Ilford in London & was a nurse.She married my Grandpa in1912 & Dad was born in 1913.
    I have found out that Jack emigrated to Australia on 15th March,1927.He travelled on the "Benalla" to Sydney.This is all I know about him.Is there anyone who can help me find out more?
    Thank-you,
    Barbara

ozEgal

Default John Roberts

Hi Barbara, I had a look on the N.S.W BDM and found a John Roberts
    YEAR - 1963
    LAST NAME- ROBERTS
    GIVEN NAME -JOHN GORDON HONYWOOD C H
    AGE 63 YRS LEWISHAM (a suburb of Sydney)
    MOTHERS GIVEN NAME - G E
    DISTRICT - SYDNEY

The registration number is 8400/1963.

Hope this is of help.
    Julie

Carol G

Default strange coincidence?

HI
    I found this war service record, though place of birth is different.... heres the link at Australian War Memorial.

https://www.ww2roll.gov.au/script/vet...teranID=310256

also he is listed at the website of the National Archives of Australia. You can order digital (free) copies of service records or hard copies for a set fee. Have a look at the website.

https://www.naa.gov.au/ put the name into "record search"

Marriage indexed at NSW BDM https://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au

Hope this is helpful and not confusing!
    Carol
    Last edited by Carol G; 19-02-2006 at 4:16 AM. Reason: add details

Barbara Ward

Default John Roberts

Dear Carol,
    I`m not confused,but pleased with what you found.This must be my John even though it should be spelt Honeywood.I now know that he married a Caroline Smith.On the 1901 census it said he was born in 1900,in Cardiff.Granny was already a widow in 1901.Interesting that it states that he was born in India!Perhaps he was Christened in Cardiff .
    I now have to find out if they had any children.Also if any still live in Chatswood or Lewisham[where he died in 1963] ......I`m beginning to feel like a detective!
    Thanks again,
    Barbara

Carol G

Smile roberts

HI Barbara

It is very possible that obtaining his war service record could give you valuable leads on relatives. Service records include correspondence to and from relatives and the government and sometimes include some fantastic bonuses, even in a couple I have found marriage and other certificates. Information less than 30 years old will be sealed, but you could request permission as a direct descendant.

You could seach the NSW whitepages on line, but would probably find many with the surname you are after.

Good luck
    Hope this helps
    Carol

Barbara Ward

Smile John H. Roberts

Hi Carol,
    Thanks for all the follow up.I copied the short record,but didn`t notice that I could click on to request a full service record.This would be very useful.
    `Bye Barbara

dona10

Default Jack Roberts

Hi Barbara,
    John Gordon Honywood Roberts is my uncle, (Caroline [Caro] was my mothers sister).
    The Honywood has also been spelt Hanywood so I am not surprised that it may have originally been Honeywood!.
    Jack & Caro had 1 Daughter, now deceased, June, had 6 daughters.
    I will come back to you if you are still following this link, 8 yrs is a long time! I notice that Johns birth in Poona is 1 month earlier than in Wales!, Interestingly I was in Bridgend researching another Roberts line last year.

Regards
    Don Anderson

Barbara Ward

Post Jack/John Roberts

Hi, A quick reply to say thanks for writing.Fancy having 6 daughters to get to terms with!They will have the same grandmother as me...Grace Elizabeth Spence [m. Roberts nee Parsons]I haven`t got time to write much as just back from hols. & need to look up this side of the family again.I live in the UK & my e.address is caDOTbaDOTwardATntlworldDOTcom if you`d like to contact me further.

Best wishes,
    Barbara Ward [nee Spence]
    Last edited by christanel; 01-10-2014 at 9:50 PM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam