Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ceri

Default Brain/Brayne family - Finstock, Charlbury, Leafield

Hi,

I'm searching for any information on the above. I have managed to trace back to the late 1790s when William Brayne married Sarah Preston. Their son, William Brain, married Mary DeBank and their son Shadrach, married Sarah Dore. I am looking for information on either William Brayne or Sarah Preston in particular.

Many thanks,

Ceri

janbooth

Default Brain

There is the baptism at Charlbury on 25 December 1781 of a William BRAIN son of Richard and Sarah of Finstock according to the OFHS PR transcript. Could he be your William???

Janet.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Ceri
    I'm searching for any information on the above. I have managed to trace back to the late 1790s when William Brayne married Sarah Preston. Their son, William Brain, married Mary DeBank and their son Shadrach, married Sarah Dore. I am looking for information on either William Brayne or Sarah Preston in particular.
    DeBank, Drain and Dore are names which still exist in North Oxfordshire. Can't help with specific information, but if you need photos of the area, let me know

Geoffers

Ceri

Jan,

It doesn't tie in with anything I've got at the moment. The earliest entry I've got in my tree shows William Brayne (for they could never agree on a spelling back then!!!) marrying Sarah Preston in 1795. William was born in 1775 and Sarah in 1764. I know that there were a lot of Brain/Braine/Brayne families living in the area at the time, which doesn't help matters!

Geoffers, thanks for the offer. We were down in your neck of the woods last summer and took several photos of gravestones, especially relating to DeBanks, which I didn't realise the signifigance of at the time. We will probably be popping down again when the weather gets warmer so keep an eye open for 2 very frustrated looking bikers wandering aimlessly around the local churchyards

Geoffers

We will probably be popping down again when the weather gets warmer so keep an eye open for 2 very frustrated looking bikers wandering aimlessly around the local churchyards
    If you need any local advice before coming, click on my name and send me an e-mail.

Geoffers
    (If whilst you are looking frustrated on bicycles in Charlbury, you see a young man in the prime of life, walking a border collie and two besoted beardied collies - feel free to stop me and ask questions)

Ceri

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers
    If you need any local advice before coming, click on my name and send me an e-mail.

Geoffers
    (If whilst you are looking frustrated on bicycles in Charlbury, you see a young man in the prime of life, walking a border collie and two besoted beardied collies - feel free to stop me and ask questions)
    Many thanks We're actually motorcyclists so don't worry if you see two leather clad people approaching. We're also very soppy with dogs, so we may actually greet them before you

John Kelly

I have been trying to trace back my family as well. So far I have this ( very small bits of information ) My Greatgrand father was William Brain, born in London in January of 1871 and married to Elsie ( unknown last name ) she was born in Woolwick in April of 1873. He or they move to Sittingbourne Kent, I presume somewhere around 1890, 91 ,92 or93. He worked at a paper mill there and had 5 children. William born in 1893 ( he was a deaf mute and died in Newfoundland in the 1930's ) Edward ( My grandfather ) born in July 1894, Dorothy, Elsie and Cecil ( he moved to Ontario Hawksbury I believe, close to Ottawa I understand, when I do not knon ). The Brain family immigrated to Canada in the early 1900's and setteled for a while in Shawinigan Falls in Quebec. From there they moved to Newfoundland around 1908 where he was paper mill supertendant at the new paper mill The Anglo Newfoundland Developement Company. Which was built to supply newsprint to the Daily Mail in London. I have not been able to go back any further as I have no access to records in England and no leads to follow. He may or may not be a relative somewhere in your line. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
    John Kelly
    Last edited by John Kelly; 27-05-2006 at 3:58 PM.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly
    My Greatgrand father was William Brain, born in London in January of 1871 and married to Elsie ( unknown last name ) she was born in Woolwick in April of 1873. He or they move to Sittingbourne Kent
    Hello
    You mention not having access to records in England - well actually you do. A lot of what you will need to get going is available on the internet, albeit on pay-to-view sites. So, before I start into a long explanation, could you let us know if you are aware of census records and how to access them, similarly have you heard of the General Register Office (GRO) and know about searching the indices online and applying for copies of certificates? These basic tools will help you greatly, if you're not aware of them, just ask
    Geoffers

mary wiltshire

Red face john scarrott sarah Dore

Hi,

Many thanks,

Ceri
    my connection is through John Scarrott and Sarah Dore my G/G/G/GRANPARENT'S

Cary Christopher

Hi John,

Let me show you what I've found on your family in the censuses and civil registration. Millwall, a small section of London keeps reoccurring in records. It is only a small parish in London that had just over 5,000 people in 1887:

1901 England census
    Kent, Milton next Sittingbourne
    District 29, page 23
    78 William Street

William Brain Head Marr'd 30 Machinist (?) in Paper Mill, born London Millwall (according to 1887 gazetteer, this is in Poplar parish, London, but it might be in either Poplar or St. Luke registration district)

Elsie A. " Wife Marr'd 29 Born Kent Plumsted (actually Plumstead in Kent, Greater London area. Civil registration district was originally at Plumstead but transferred to Woolwich in 1868)

William " Son 7 Kent, Milton (comment reads, "Deaf and dumb from birth")

Dorothy E. " Dau 2 Kent, Milton

Elsie E. " Dau 4 Ditto, Ditto

Edward " Son 5 Ditto, Ditto

==================

The 1901 census also has another family living in Milton and their adult children are also all born in Millwall, London. In fact, they are the only others mentioned as being born in Millwall so they're probably connected:

1901 England census
    District 29, page 32
    86 William Street

Isaac Brain Head Marr'd 75 Stationary engine driver, (born) Worcestershire, Dudley

Elizabeth C. (or G) Brain Wife Marr'd 63 (born) Essex, Plaistow

Mary A. " Dau Single 33 Dressmaker, (born) London, Millwall

Charlotte " Dau Single 28 Dressmaker (28according iam Street

William Brain Head Marr'd 30 Machinist (?) in Paper Mill, born London Millwall (according to 1887 gazetteer, this is in Poplar parish, London, but it might be in either Poplar or St. Luke registration district)

Elsie A. " Wife Marr'd 29 Born Kent Plumsted (actually Plumstead in Kent, Greater London area. Civil registration district was originally at Plumstead but transferred to Woolwich in 1868)

==================

The 1901 census also has another family living in Milton and their adult children are also all born in Millwall, London. In fact, they are the only others mentioned as being born in Millwall so they're probably connected:

1901 England census
    District 29, page 32
    86 William Street

Isaac Brain Head Marr'd 75 Stationary engine driver, (born) Worcestershire, Dudley

Charlotte " Dau Single 28 Dressmaker (28according to 1887 gazetteer, this is in Poplar parish, London, but it might be in either Poplar or St. Luke registration district)

==================

1901 England census
    District 29, page 32
    86 William Street

Charlotte " Dau Single 28 Dressmaker (born) Ditto, Ditto

Sarah " Dau Single 23 Dressmaker (born) Ditto, Ditto

==========to 1887 gazetteer, this is in Poplar parish, London, but it might be in either Poplar or St. Luke registration district)

==================

1901 England census
    District 29, page 32
    86 William Street

Charlotte " Dau Single 28 Dressmaker (born) Ditto, Ditto

Sarah " Dau Single 23 Dressmaker (born) Ditto, Ditto

================

Here is William Brain from the 1891 census:

1891 England census
    Essex County, West Thurrlock
    District 9, page 3
    6 Portland Place

William Brain Boarder Single 20 Papermaker Dryerman, (born) London, Millwall (living with the family of George & Eliza Cranmer whose occupation was "Stationary engine driver")

================

Here is the family of Isaac & Elizabeth Brain from the 1891 census:

1891 England census
    Kent County, Sittingbourne
    District 36, page 32
    16 Terrace Road

Isaac Brain Head Marr'd 65 Engineer Worcestershire, Dudley

Elizabeth " Wife Marr'd 53 Essex, Plaistow

Mary A. " Dau Single 23 Dressmaker London

Edward " Son Single 22 Papermaker Ditto

Charlotte " Dau Single 18 Dressmaker Ditto

Isaac " Son Single 16 Blacksmith's apprentice Ditto

Sarah " Dau Single 13 Ditto

Joseph " Son Single 11 (born) Kent Sittingbourne

================

In my next email, I will show the entire family together in the 1881 census.

Cary C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast