Thread: Slaters of Eyam

Slater

Talking Slaters of Eyam

I am trying to find out the date of death of Mary Mira Slater, daughter of Mira Slater and George Slater born 29/9/1870 (my Grandad), they lived at Eyam and Anne and Mira appear to die in the same year 1896, it does not appear to be in childbirth as she was named. Mira was nee Turner from Great Longstone. Any information gratefull
    Last edited by [email protected]; 05-02-2006 at 2:57 PM.

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I am trying to find out the date of death of Anne Mira Slater, daughter of Mira Slater and George Slater born 29/9/1810 (my Grandad), they lived at Eyam and Anne and Mira appear to die in the same year 1896, it does not appear to be in childbirth as she was named. Mira was nee Turner from Great Longstone. Any information gratefull
    Just for clarification [I'm a little confused by your message!]:

-- George SLATER was born in 1810?
    --Anne Mira SLATER and mother Mira SLATER both appear to have died in 1896?
    -- How do you know this?
    -- Who appeared not to have died in childbirth -- Anne? If Geore was born in 1810 and Mira around the same time, Anne was probably born somewhere between 1830 and 1850, making her at least in her 40s by 1896. It would seem a little unlikely that she would die in childbirth. But not impossible, certainly.
    -- Do you have a birthdate for Anne?

If you have any extra details, they may help us help you.

Trish

Slater

Default Slater

Thankyou for pointing out my error Ernest was born 1870 ( not1810) I only know that Mira died 28/3/1985 in Foolow but do not know where she was buried as there is no churchyard at Foolow, I found reference to a Mary Mira Slater born to Mira at the records office in Matlock and presume it was the same, also found record of death of a Mary Slater in March 1985

Thankyou for pointing out my error Ernest was born 1870 ( not1810) I only know that Mira died 28/3/1985 in Foolow but do not know where she was buried as there is no churchyard at Foolow, I found reference to a Mary Mira Slater born to Mira at the records office in Matlock and presume it was the same, also found record of death of a Mary Slater in March 1985
    Oh gosh, who's Ernest?

Thank you for your reply. What you describe makes sense. Everything but Ernest. I just don't know who Ernest is. I thought it was George who you first described as born in 1810 but who was actually born in 1870 -- but it's not George but Ernest?

Here's what I think are the facts:
    -- Mary Mira SLATER was the daughter of Mira TURNER and George SLATER
    -- George SLATER [Mary's father] was born in 1870
    -- Mira SLATER [Mary's mother] died in March 1895 [not 1985, correct?] in Foolow, Derbyshire
    -- There is also a death record for a Mary SLATER in March 1895 [not 1985?]
    -- There's no Anne at all -- you mean Mary Mira SLATER where you write that "Anne and Mira appear to die in the same year 1896"

Sorry for all the questions, but once we get this nicely straightened out, we'll have somewhere to start sorting out your family history hopefully!

Trish

Slater

Default Mary Slater

Thankyou for your patience start again eh!!
    Ernest Slater (born 2 Sept 1870) Married Mira Turner ( born 20 March 1868) on 16 May 1894 in Youlgrave. They had I think a baby Mary Mira Slater March 1895 at Eyam ( I saw this in Matlock records office) My question is really about Mary--did she exist and if she did where is she buried, can you also tell me where Mira is buried as there is no churchyad at Foolow!!
    I know Ernest is buried at Eyam with his second wife Annie Harrison born 1883 Calver
    Thankyou for your patience can I make a donation to charity for your trouble?

Thankyou for your patience start again eh!!

Ernest Slater (born 2 Sept 1870) Married Mira Turner ( born 20 March 1868) on 16 May 1894 in Youlgrave. They had I think a baby Mary Mira Slater March 1895 at Eyam ( I saw this in Matlock records office) My question is really about Mary--did she exist and if she did where is she buried, can you also tell me where Mira is buried as there is no churchyad at Foolow!!

I know Ernest is buried at Eyam with his second wife Annie Harrison born 1883 Calver

Thankyou for your patience can I make a donation to charity for your trouble?
    No problem at all.

I've looked at the census and BMD information and, based on what I have access to, I'm not sure I can help much. Let's take a look...

First, 1901 and then backwards from there... I think this must be your Ernest in the 1901 census -- have you seen this entry?

1901 Census: RG13/3268 Folio 92 Page 15
    Address: Eyam Dale, Eyam, Derbyshire
    Samuel SLATER Head M [= married] 64 Gardener [born] Derbys: Eyam
    Mary do Wife M 58 [born] do [= ditto]
    Ernest do son Wr [= Widower] 30 Green grocer [working on own account] [born] do
    Amanda do dr s [=single] 23 She binder machinist [born] do
    Robert do son s 18 Shoe - hand [born] do

1895: FreeBMD: death record: March quarter: Mira SLATER, 27 years old: Bakewell, Derbyshire [Reference Volume 7b Page 555]

1894: FreeBMD: marriage record: June quarter: Ernest SLATER and Mira TURNER; Bakewell, Derbyshire [Reference Volume 7b Page 1129]

1891 Census: RG12/2777 Folio 97 Page 2
    Address: Dell View, Eyam, Derbyshire
    Samuel SLATER M 54 Gardener [born] Do Tideswell Deaf
    Ernest Do S 20 Shoe Maker [born] Do Eyam

to be continued...

continued...

I don't see a birth record for Mary Mira SLATER on the FreeBMD index for the Bakewell [Eyam] district. There are two Mary SLATERs on the 1901 census who were born about the same time but they are listed as daughters of other people.

With all this information that you have amassed, I would think that someone on this forum with much greater knowledge of how to research birth and death records and burial grounds could help you. Let's see if someone will respond to our call for help!

Regards,
    Trish

Margarets60

I do not know whether this is of any help as the original query was so long ago but I have ancestors from Foolow. They were mainly buried in Eyam. There are several places where memorial transcripts can be found but I only appear to have bookmarked this one: https://www.wishful-thinking.org.uk/g.../Eyam/MIs.html
    I hope that this is of some help.
    Margaret