+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Starting to feel at home
    Thanks

Default Men named Banks in the 17th Lancers

Quote Originally Posted by Hlomos View Post
    Hello Peggy. I am looking for John Banks of the 17th Lancers. I can't find him so maybe he went under the name if Joseph or Jack. I believe he left Hulme barracks for the Crimea, or it could have been the newly built Aldershot barracks. I also believe his daughter was born in Hulme barracks but no luck so far. It seems the lower orders really were cannon fodder.

Thank you.
    Charlie.
    There was only one man named Banks serving in the 17th Lancers during the Crimean War . . . Private Joseph Banks. Entry below is from my book:

☼ Banks, Pte Joseph, (1311), 17th L (p261)
    Enl 09-13-54 in London at age 19 [54D-3-7]. To Svc Trps 05-28-55 [55D-2-5]. Joined Regt 06-20-55 [55-2-5]. At Baidar 1st Mstr [55-3-5]. AA Charge. Medal [504] w/ S [510] Clasp.

As you can see, he did not arrive in the Crimea until June 1855, but was entitled to a Medal with an S Clasp. He is mentioned in Lummis and Wynn on page 261, but they have less information than I had.

Hope this is your ancestor . . .

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lawrence W. Crider For This Useful Post:

Hlomos (20-03-2012)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

Hello. It doesn't look very likely. Ah well back to the drawing board.
    Thank you.
    Charlie.

Starting to feel at home
    Thanks

The man you are asking about is listed as "William Faulks" on the pay lists and muster rolls of the 5th Dragoon Guards. He would have been entitled to a Crimean Medal with a Sebastopol Clasp and a Turkish Medal. Here is what I have about him in my book:

Faulks, Pte William (1420*), 5th Dragoon Guards
    Jul to Sep 1855: landed 6th Jul; with Service Troops the entire period; 11 days in Regt or Gen Hospital; paid 85 days ordinary pay and 76 days F allowance at 6d per diem with stoppages for 74 days at 4 1/2d per diem [55-3-5]. NB. *Regt. no. 1420 shows alongside the names of two men who arrived on 6 Jul 1855, Edward Mealicott and William Faulks [55-3-5].
    Crimean Medal; LN shown as “Faux” on MR [94].

Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

Hello everybody, I haven't been on here for a few years. Good to see the thread is still going. My ancestor was William (Billy) Brittain. Lord Cardigans bugler during the Charge.
    A few years ago I came across the grave of Henry Joy in a churchyard behind a brewery at Hogarths Corner, West London on the A4.
    His headstone claims that he is the man who sounded the Charge of the Light Brigade. I was somewhat peeved to see this knowing that he was in the Heavy Brigade and did not take part in the Charge. He went around claiming that he sounded the Charge for a few years but was shunned by all the veterans of the Charge who knew he did not ride alongside him. He was not invited to the annual dinners of the veterans and eventually owned up to being economical with the truth!!
    I am in the middle of reading a collection of glorious accounts of the Charge and life in the Crimea. I will post the link in my next post as it is full of information and first hand accounts of the tough times the ordinary soldiers suffered in that war.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

Here is the link. This is really well worth spending some time reading all the accounts. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to get back to the home page...
    http://
    medalcollector.co.uk/chargersearch/accounts.html
    Last edited by MarkJ; 06-01-2013 at 8:31 PM. Reason: Link edited

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5