Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    janered

Thank you to everyone who tried to help.

Unfortunately the only info I have is from the census returns and thus is only of limited use - ie trust the info given and HOPE!!

I am amazed at how much info is around. And hats off to all you who are willing to share and educate us novices!

Thanks again
    Jane

Blain

Quote Originally Posted by janered
    Also what do Colour Sergeants do?
    Colour sgts are the same rank as Staff Sgts, it is the rank above Sgt, there is no difference in the rank, it is just that some regiments call them "colour", some call them "staff", the blues and royals I believe call the same rank "Corporal of Horse"

Emma C

Default 11th Hussars

Hello.

I have no information on the 11th Hussars and i have just discovered that an ancestor of mine was a Private on the 1881 census, stationed at '11th Hussars Hounslow Barracks' and wondered if anyone had any information on this or where i could find it.

His name is William Howe from Balsham, Cambridgeshire.

Many thanks

Emma C

Geoffers

Welcome to the B-G forums

Quote Originally Posted by Emma C
    I have no information on the 11th Hussars and i have just discovered that an ancestor of mine was a Private on the 1881 census, stationed at '11th Hussars Hounslow Barracks' and wondered if anyone had any information on this or where i could find it.
    A good place to start might be your chap's service record which will be held at The National Archives (TNA), Kew - they have loads of research guides on how to research soldiers, click on this link and look at the guides prefixes 'British Army'.

There 's a sticky thread on the Military - Army forum on how to search TNA's catalogue to try and identify in which file his record may be held.

Emma C

Many thanks for that, i will try and find out what i can

Lawrence W. Crider

Default William Faulks

Quote Originally Posted by Denmark View Post
    Hi Peggy,

I am not sure which other name the regiment would have had. All the details in letters I have refer to the 5th Royal Dragoon Guards, or the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards. I have a copy of a sketch showing the Charge of the Heavy Brigade and a Brigadier-General The Hon.James Yorke Scarlett commanding The Heavy Cavalry Brigade. On the sketch it shows the positions of:
    4th Dragoon Guards
    5th Dragoon Guards
    2nd Sqn. Inniskillings
    Scots Greys
    The Royals

All the above seem to come under the banner of The Heavy Brigade and all took part in the charge.

Most of this is double dutch to me and does not answer the question as to whether William Foulkes was actually there.

Thanks anyway for your help Peggy.
    William Faulks was in the 5th Dragoon Guards. The Inniskillings were the 6th Dragoons. He only arrived in the Crimea on July 6th, 1855 and was eligible for a Crimean Medal, though on the Medal Rolls for the regiment on page 94, his last name was shown as Faux (sic).

Below is the entry I have for him in a forthcoming book:

Faulks, Pte William (1420*)
    Jul to Sep 1855: landed 6th Jul; with Service Troops the entire period; 11 days in Regt or Gen Hospital; paid 85 days ordinary pay and 76 days F allowance at 6d per diem with stoppages for 74 days at 4 1/2d per diem [55-3-5]. NB. *Regt. no. 1420 shows alongside the names of two men who arrived on 6 Jul 1855, Edward Mealicott and William Faulks [55-3-5].
    Crimean Medal; LN shown as “Faux” on MR [94].

Cheers,

LC

Pamaga

Hi Peggy

I have discovered an ancestor, Patrick Leary who was in the 11th Hussars or cherry pickers and based at Chelsea barracks around 1885 when my grandfather was born. I am wondering if Patrick could have been at the Charge? He may have been known as Patrick O'Leary or Patrick Learey. There seem to be variant spellings of the name.

Hope you may be able to help.

TIA

Pat

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Pat,

I don't see any Leary or O'Leary or similar name listed for the 11th.

Peggy

Lawrence W. Crider

Default William Foulkes

Quote Originally Posted by Denmark View Post
    Hi Peggy, I have only just found this website and hope you are still willing to look up members of the "charge".

My g.grandfather William Foulkes was in the Royal Dragoon Guards. His details are No. 1420 PT. W.Foulks (No e ) 5th Dragoon Guards. He received the Crimea Medal, and Turkish Crimea Medal. These medals are on display at the Dragoon Guards Museum in York, I believe.

I would be interested to know if his name is listed in the Charge.

Thanks. Maureen (Denmark)
    I have started a book on the members of the Heavy Brigade and so far have information on all men serving in the Crimea at the time of the Charge, and William Foulkes is not listed. I was unable to find his name on the Medal Rolls, although some of the pages are illegible.

Lawrence W. Crider

A few more details about David from my book:

☼ McInnes, Pte David, (1425), 13th LD (p225)
    Bn in Barony, Glasgow [58-2-24]. Enl 01-17-51 [58-2-24]. Prior Occ: Painter [58-2-21]. Abd Monarchy 2nd Mstr & on Outpost Duty 3rd Mstr [54-2-5]. Prom to Cpl 01-01-55 [55-1-4, 5]. In Crimea all 3 Mstrs [55-2-4][55-3-4]. Prom to Sgt 10-02-55 [55-4-3, 4]. At Scut all 3 Musters [55-4-3, 4][56-1-3]. Dc 06-28-56 at Kilmainham [58-2-24]. Medal [462] w/ A [462], B [487], I [462], & S [475] Clasps. Regt no. shown as “1426” (sic)[ref Thomas Blackett][56-1-3].

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast