Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Talbotts of Eyam

Has anyone done any research on the Talbott family in Eyam? The last of the Talbotts was William who died in 1817, however there were other female members of the family who married. A Mary married George Knowles( my connection), Anne married John Allen. I came across the wedding of George Knowles and Mary Talbott(Peak Forest) in a book in Matlock and the entry had two xs and was underlined. Clearly someone else had shown interest in this entry. Maybe it was a Knowles. Any information on the Talbotts would be appreciated. I am particularly interested in Thomas and Mary Talbott (1700) whom I believe were the parents of Mary.
    Thanks Jen

jeeb

Default Talbott

Hi Jen.
    Thanks for your e-mail, great bit of detective work I thought. Do you recall the information I gave you awhile ago concerning Richard Talbot's will? He died in Eyam of the plague in July 1666. His will was a death bed will made days before he died and he mentioned his three sons Robert, George & Jonathan. Robert & Jonathan both died of the plague but George survived and is mentioned on the Hearth Tax returns of 1670. This George will probably turn out to be Thomas's father but you will need to prove this. However in Richard Talbot's will of 1666 he states that if his sons die the estate is to be divided between Joseph Bramhall of Riley and Jonathan Hunstone of Ashton under Lyne. I suggest you look how close this is to where Thomas Knowles turns up! Interestingly I found some research done on the web into the Needham family and on 22 April 1783 it states a marriage took place at Eyam between Ann Needham & John Epinstone and was witnessed by Jonathan Epinstone & William Talbot. You will know who the William is (died Eyam 1817) but I think it is most likely Hunstone from the will and Epinstone from the witness will be the same family name.(Both Jonathan) A capital H was often written like the modern Ep of today and, dare I say it, a probable transription error. Having not seen either original I can but hazard a guess. I think this name will have a strong connection with Talbot and could well be the reason the Knowles went to Manchester area. I will be interested to hear your views
    Jeremy.
    Last edited by jeeb; 19-01-2006 at 8:16 AM. Reason: incorrect name

sandgrown

Did you get the email I sent about our visit to Eyam. I did find that George and Mary had triplets soon after they married(All died) and then two sons Thomas and George. The George is the one whose son was in Sheffield.You were right on that one. Thomas is my 4 GGrandf. I found the william talbott will at Matlock and after several bequests he left the estate to be divided between Thomas and George's son william( George was dead). They were the executors. So I found the estate that Thomas sold in Derbyshire. William Talbott and Thomas were cousins. I am now in the process of trying to trace Mary Talbott. Derbyshire was great but freezing cold, especially searching the graveyard. We will have to pay a return visit when next we are in England.
    Jen