kazrbutler

Question John and Martha RANDALL - N Derbyshire

I have found Martha Randall in the 1861 census:
    1861 Census, Brampton Derbyshire RG9 / 2531 Fo 138 p25
    Wasp Nest Martha Randall Boarder Widow 75 Brampton Derbyshire

Despite looking in the area expected, I have not found Martha or John RANDALL in the 1841 census. Before I search the whole of Derbyshire, please does anyone have access to an index, to give me an idea of where to look?

It would also be helpful if someone can let me know their details from the 1851 census, as I am uncertain of John's place and date of birth / baptism.

I have access to transcripts of parish registers for St Peter and Paul's Brampton for this time, and there is no likely John RANDALL baptism listed. I suspect he might have come from Bradfield, Yorkshire, but other nearby parishes in Derbyshire have not been eliminated as possibilities yet. Census information will help confirm this

Any help would be appreciated. Karen

JayneCanada

Hi Karen,

I found Martha in the 1851 census listed as the Mother-in-Law of William & Martha Wright?/Bright?/Might?

The reference to this entry is:

Source information:HO107/2147Registration district:Chesterfield Sub-registration district:Ashover ED, institution, or vessel:12d Folio:856 Page:6Household schedule number:23

If anyone else would care to take a peek and see if they can figure out the last name for you?

She was aged 67, born in Brampton but she was listed as a Widow so looks like John died before the 1851 census and unfortunately the 1841 census will not give you John's birth place only that he was n:HO107/2147Registration district:Chesterfield Sub-registration district:Ashover ED, institution, or vessel:12d Folio:856 Page:6Household schedule number:23

If anyone else would care to take a peek and see if they can figure itution, or vessel:12d Folio:856 Page:6Household schedule number:23

If anyone else would care to take a peek and see if they can figure out the last name for you?

She was aged 67, born in Brampton but she was listed as a Widow so looks like John died before the 1851 census and unfortunately the 1841 census will not give you John's birth place only that he was n:HO107/2147Registration district:Chesterfield Sub-registration district:Ashover ED, institution, or vessel:12d Folio:856 Page:6Household schedule number:23

She was aged 67, born in Brampton but she was listed as a Widow so looks like John died before the 1851 census and unfortunately the 1841 census will not give you John's birth place only that he was or was not born in the county of where he was residing when the census was taken.

Hope this helps just a little bit?

Wirral

In 1841 they are at HO107/194/7 folio 5 page 4, Newbold & Dunstan, Chesterfield.

kazrbutler

Smile

Thanks for the help Jayne and Wirral,

when I can have a little more light (typing this with sleeping sick child in the room)- I will get my 1841 census out and look at the relevant section. I know it won't tell me where John was born, but at least I have a narrower period for his death than before. It will also give me an idea of his age, which will help eliminate some possible baptisms.

There are a lot of Wright names in this area of Derbyshire, and some in my family too. None that I can relate to as being Martha's son-in-law yet - but I haven't identified marriages for all her children and possibly even all members of the family yet.

many thanks, Karen

JayneCanada

Hey this is great news for you Karen.

Now one thing I forgot to mention was that a few years ago I used to maintain a website on Brampton and a very kind person transcribed all the burials for me to put on my site.

Since then though I have closed the site due to lack of time in keeping it maintained but I did send all my files to Rosemary Lockie who has put all the data on the Derbyshire Genuki page. Checking this for you already I see there are a few entries for John RANDALL but none fit your John. However, I did find this:

RANDALLMartha2 Apr 186377Brampton

Looks like this could be your Martha, right? It was the only Martha listed.

kazrbutler

Thanks for sharing this Jayne,

I was already aware of the site, and it has certainly helped sort out some of the family members. I picked up on it when it was the original Brampton site - and did miss it when it was no longer available. I was pleased later to find it on Genuki.

That Martha Randall is the one I was looking for. The family members I am having problems with, are the ones who were born / married outside the parish. I do like to have some solid footing for my reasoning that baptism x relates to person y etc.

I have just bought Valerie Neal's transcriptions for Old Brampton and Beeley too - which I am very pleased with. While I would much rather look at original records on fiche etc, there is a lot to be said for a good transcription. It is certainly helping me go through information quickly, and sort out who is related to who. Once that is done for part of the family, the information can be double checked against original records fairly quickly, when I get the chance.

Thanks for all the help,
    Karen