Thread: Which Railway ?

Choccie

Default Which Railway ?

My great great grandfather Thomas KELSEY b 1851 Brignorth SAL was a Railway worker most of his life. I have found him on 1871, 1881 and 1891 census as first a Porter and then a Railway Guard. He married three times and 90% of his descendants now live in NZ or USA. How do I find out which railway company he worked for ? Should I deduce from where he lived and what companies had stations in those towns or is there another way. In 1871 he was in Brierley Hill which seems to have had a GWR station, on the other two census he was in Wolverhampton which I know will have had more than one company since it was such a big junction. His 1st wife was living in Dudley before they married and orginally came from the Leintwardine HEF/ Clungunford SAL and Wales direction. No-one else in Thomas's family that I have found seems to have joined the Railway.

Any help appreciated,

Starting to feel at home

Default Which Railway

The GWR was also at Wolverhampton in the 1850's and linked to Birmingham to the south. If your GG Grandfather started with GWR then it is likely that at Wolverhampton he could have stayed with them. Railwaymen in those days were often quite loyal to their companies. Having said that however there are a number of other companies operating in the area eg London North Western, Midland and London North Eastern to name three. There may be others on this site that can help further. Good luck

David Wilkins

Auckland NZ