Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    pwenlock

Default Did Your Ancestors Serve in the Queens Own Oxfordshire Hussars?

The Oxfordshire Yeomanry Trust (Registered Charity 106827) have just launched their web site to promote the activities of the Trust and the Oxfordshire Yeomanry Association.

In addition the web site contains highlights from the history of the Oxfordshire Yeomanry (Queens Own Oxfordshire Hussars) and details of its antecedent unit, 5 (QOOH) Signal Squadron.

In order to build on its archives, the Trust is keen to hear from anyone whose ancestors served in the Queens Own Oxfordshire Hussars (Oxfordshire Yeomanry), particularly the during the Boer War (40th & 59th Companies of the Imperial Yeomanry), The Great War and WW2.

We would also be keen to hear from anyone wishing to donate artefacts or photographs to the Trust to form part of their mobile museum exhibition.

Please contact the Trust via the email address on their web site or my account on this forum.
    Last edited by Guest; 14-09-2007 at 5:05 PM.

Hubert

Default Queens Own Oxfordshire Hussars

would like to hear from any one that would share info
    Hubert H Flowers served 1914-1919

Masha

Default Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars

My Grandfather served in QOOH in Great War. I have a photo of him on horse back taking part in exercises in the grounds of Blenheim Palace. His name was Frank Huckin, born in Enstone, Oxfordshire 1895.
    Did you know that members of the Hussars were known as Queer Objects On Horseback! (Q O O H)
    My brother has Frank's medals from the Great War. He very proudly went to the annual dinner each year and received a Christmas present each year from his commanding officer, I believe his name was Villiers. After my Grandfather died my Grandmother still received gifts, one year it was a blanket, which she gave to me as a wedding present.

Masha

Oxykeith

Smile QOOH 1914-18

Hi Masha,

I've just found this website. My grandfather, too, served in the QOOH in the Great War. He was Harry Brain, born in Calthorpe Street Banbury in 1885. He was wounded at St Quentin 23 Mar 1918.
    I started to research his service records some years ago but didn't get far. Discovered he started service in Egypt 20 Apr 1918 (QOOH - never went to Egypt!!) and finished when wounded with QOOH 1918. Just re-started my research.

Was your grandfather the Sergeant Huckin mentioned on page 291 of "The Oxfordshire Hussars in the Great War2 by Keith-Falconer? Have you been able to trace his service records?

Regards,

Keith

Masha

Wink QOOH

Hello Keith
    I know that my Grandfather was attached to a regular army unit and that he served in France. i have found a record of his medal record through the Ancestry site. I have a copy of an article about the QOOH that was published in the Oxford Mail, let me know if you would like a copy and I'll photocopy it and send it to you. I wasn't aware of the book you mention. I don't think my Grandfather was ever a Sargent, but there were a lot of Huckins around in Oxfordshire so doubt he is a relation!

Regards
    Masha

Oxykeith

Smile QOOH

Hi Masha,

Yes, I would be interested to see the article The book that I mentioned is very, very good. It is a very detailed history of QOOH in the Great War. My grandfather is listed in the appendix of the wounded.(By the way he served from April 1915 not 1918 as I said!) If you were interested you can get a reprint of the book from naval-military-press.com. I think it's about £24 from memory. Have you traced the Medal Index card for your grandfather?

Regards,

Keith
    Last edited by Procat; 10-10-2008 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Link to commercial site removed as per forum rules

Oxykeith

Smile QOOH

Hi Hubert,

I note that you are in the USA. How are you getting on with your research?

Regards,

Keith

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Oxykieth

I have Brain ancestors in Oxon as well. Bletchingdon areas. George Brain & Sarah Gray, and their son Thomas Brain born in Bletchingdon in 1816 and his daughter Sarah born in 1842 in Bletchingdon. Sarah moved to London then onto Essex.

Ben

Hangland

Default Hangland

My grandfather Reginal Jame Webb born 5/5/1896 lost the lower left leg in 1918/1919 was discharge disabled 25th October 1919. his reg no. 285490.
    Would like to find out where he was wounded. If anyone can point in the right direction for any records it would be great.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Hangland

Did you get the discharge date off Ancestry? If not, they have WW1 pension records and service records but the service ones only go up to surnames beginning with H at present. The pensiosn records should say whether he was wounded and probably what injuries he suffered.

If not, the National Archives at Kew should have them.

Ben

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast