Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Patricia S

Smile John McCALL, Innkeeper at Monkton

We are looking for information about the family of John McCALL, Innkeeper of Monkton and his wife Jane or Jean MARR who were married on 15-12-1820. We know of 7 children, David 1821, John 1823, Margaret 1828, Dennis 1830, William 1834, James 1837 and Mary 1841, but there may have been more.
    James and his family migrated to Australia in 1876, Margaret died in Monkton and we thought that she may have been married to a James TAIT. Mary married William HALDANE in 1858, and we know they had 2 children before he died in 1865. We now believe that it was Mary who may have been married a second time and that James TAIT was her husband.
    John snr, Jane, William HALDANE, Margaret, and several children , including at least one HALDANE and one TAIT, are buried in the family grave at Monkton.
    We are very interested in finding out more about John's Inn , where it was located and how long he was there.
    We would also really like to find someone else who is researching any part of this family.
    Patricia S
    P.S.
    A very kind researcher on another list was able to tell me that the name of John's Inn was the Wheat Sheaf Inn and it is still standing today in Main Street Monkton. This was very exciting news. The McCall's were elsewhere in Monkton in the 1841 census, and we would now like to find out when they moved to the Inn and how long they were there. Any suggestions as to how we could find this information would be gratefully received.
    Last edited by Patricia S; 04-06-2006 at 2:46 AM. Reason: More information found

alison t.

Red face McCall Family Monkton

John McCall born 26/12/1823, son of john McCall and Jane Marr was my gr gr gr gr grandfather. he was married to Jean Manson and they lived in Kilwinning, Ayrshire.John was furnaceman at the iron works. Jean died in 1856 and their daughter Mary (my ancestor) went to live in monkton with her paternal grandparents. John re married a lady called Jessie Gourlay and they went to live in Cumberland, England. They had 4 children that I know of Dennis, Henry, 'little' John and David.
    it was really exciting to find out that John McCall lived at the Wheatsheaf Inn- I have been there for dinner! Also great to find out more about his other children.
    Many thanks!!

Patricia S

Smile Re McCALL family, Monkton

Dear Alison,
    Thank you for your reply. It is exciting to make contact with a John McCALL descendant. Your John would have been my Gt Gt uncle as his brother, James McCALL born 1837 was my Gt Gt Grandfather. We were beginning to think that we were the only ones researching this family.
    A friend of mine recently went to Monkton and she took photographs for us of the interior of the Wheat Sheaf Inn, plus every grave stone in the church yard that had any connection to the McCALL family.
    My sister and I would be very pleased to share any information and photos that we have and we would be grateful to receive any information re your branch of the family. My email address is on file if you wish to use it.
    Again, thank you for replying.
    Patricia S
    PS
    We have found in our records that John McCALL married Jean MANSON on 29th June 1844 in Monkton. After Jean's death he married Jessie GOURLAY on 8th June 1857.
    According to our records, their children were Alexander Gourlay McCALL born 4-3-1858 in Darly Scot., Jessie McCALL born 28-6-1860 in Darly Scot., Dennison McCALL born 27-7-1862 Darly Scot., Henry Forsyth McCALL born 24-10-1864 Darly Scot, died 1941, John McCALL born 15-5-1867 Darly Scot, died 26-12-1962 Pontiac, Michigan USA, David McCALL born 3-3-1870 Whitehaven Eng. died 9-12-1908.
    Dennison McCALL married Gertrude M BENTLEY on 27-12-1888 in Deanville, Lapeer, Michigan USA. Henry McCALL married Lottie E CHURCHILL on 6-7-1892 at Goodland, Lapeer, Michigan , USA.
    We do not have certificates to back up any of this information as they are a little to one side of our direct line, but we are very interested in them as partof our family.
    In the 1841 census, we found that 18 year old Jean MANSON and 17 year old John McCALL were working together as servants at Hobsland, Monkton, which was the home of the RAESIDE family.
    Looking forward to hearing from you again.
    Sincerely,
    Patricia
    Last edited by Patricia S; 31-05-2006 at 2:10 AM. Reason: More information found

alison t.

Default McCall Family

Thank you so much for all the wonderful info, I had no idea that we had people in USA!!
    John McCall and Jean Manson did meet at Hobsland, I also found them on the census there, Jean mansons grandmother was called Mary Raeside, could this be relatives that they were working for.
    Jean died on18th April 1856 at Kilwinning(close to where I live now!!)
    John and Jean's daughter Mary McCall went to live with her paternal grandparents at Monkton after her mother died and she married William Kilpatrick on 21st December 1875. William was a Quarrymaster. They had 7 children, John 1879-1975, William 1886, Catherine 1883, Mary 1892, Elizabeth 1897 and Janet 1878. Mary McCall died at Loans, Ayrshire in 1931.
    John Kilpatrick was my great grandfather and he died in 1975.
    I will keep you posted on any other info I find out about Mary McCall, I don't know yet whether she had any siblings, that is my next job!
    Many thanks again,
    Alison

Patricia S

Smile Re Children of John McCALL and Jean MANSON

Dear Alison,
    I have found out that there were about 5 Inns in the Monkton area at one time, so we are so lucky that the Wheat Sheaf Inn is the one left standing.
    On the printout that Fiona McCALL sent to me it seems that Jean MANSON and John McCALL had a son called John Roxburgh McCALL in 1856, but Mary isn't mentioned there. I'll see what I can find out about him and I'll let you know any other details asap.
    It was very good to get your reply.
    Tricia

BrentRBrian

Smile John McCall & Mary Jessie Gourlay's family in America

John Jr. is my G-Grandfather, he moved to the states.

He died in the home of my grandmother in 1962, Pontiac, Oakland, Michigan, USA, when I was just a year old. My brother recalls memories of Grandpa John calling him a "humbug" and trying to trip him with a cane ... the same treatment was given my father as a boy.

I would love to hear about family in UK and beyond ... I have John's graduation papers from school in England.

I have not seen FIONA McCALL posting here ... is there active research being discussed elsewhere ?
    Last edited by BrentRBrian; 18-06-2006 at 3:46 PM.

alison t.

Smile McCall family

It is fantastic to find out that we have relatives in America as well as Australia! Did the whole family move to America or was it just John, Henry and Dennison?
    Their half sister Mary McCall married William Kilpatrick, a Quarrymaster at Craiksland Quarry, Loans, Ayrshire, on 21st December 1875 and they had 7 children, Janet 1878, John 1879, Thomas 1882,Catherine 1883, William 1886, Mary 1892 and Elizabeth 1897. Mary Died at Yewtree Cottage, Loans on 18th November 1931. I will let you know any other details about the descendants of Mary McCall if this would be of interest to your research. I would be delighted to hear all about the descendants of her half siblings in America.
    Many thanks.
    Alison

BrentRBrian

Default Mary, John, Dennison, Henry & David McCall

My wife says that (correction)

MARY JESSIE McCAUL (45)
    Dennison McCAUL (19)
    John McCAUL (17)
    Henry McCAUL (14)
    David (11)

came to the NY, USA on the SS CELTIC, 31-Oct-1881, sailing from
    Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland

My wife is the REAL historian here [email protected] ... I just get to help.

:>

B

ps. any info would be of interest
    Last edited by BrentRBrian; 22-06-2006 at 2:45 AM.

Patricia S

Smile Re John McCALL

We were interested to read that John, Dennison, Henry and David went to the USA with their father, John. Do you have a place and date of death for the father? We have the father's birth date as 26 December 1823 in St Quivox, Ayrshire, not 1824. We don't know what happened to his wife Jessie GOURLAY, but we are trying to find where and when she died.
    My sister Lesley and I will be glad to share any information we have on this family.
    Regards,
    Patricia S (Tricia)

BrentRBrian

Default Oops

I'll refer back to the messages I "edited" ... about being wrong.

Mary came to the states, John may have died in UK ... don't know.

Still don't know what became of Mary ... have the kids in the census.

B