Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: odd occupations

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis
    Frame work knitter?
    I would agree with that. I have seen a number of these especially in Nottinghamshire - what clarified it for me was that one entry was Frame work knitter and the rest FWK.

kazrbutler

I don't think Fringe Man in Exeter is associated with lace industry. Seems to be associated with coach lace manufacture - whatever that is. Cannot see that expensive hand made thread laces would have been used in a coach.

Also, neither are terms I have come across when I have been reading up about either Honiton Lace, Devon Trolley Lace, or even laces from other parts of the country. Working terms associated with Honiton lace industry include: Lace Maker (made individual sprigs of lace) , Lace Manufacturer (Employers of lacemakers, also controlled assembly of individual pieces of lace), Lace Dressers and Finishers ( Stiffened linen lace, Finished (pinned out to correct size, shape and ironed, Raising - lifting raised work to increase 3D effect.), Lace sewer ( applied applique lace) and Guipurers (joined sprigs or moftifs of lace with bar or net ground).

Karen
    Who would love to find someone working in the bobbin lace industry in her family tree - but so far has only found bleachers and dyers or machine made Nottingham Lace!

Davran

Default needle pointer

Trawling through 1851 Solihull, I came across the occupation of needle pointer (amongst a number of needle makers). It set me to wondering whether needlemaking was mechanised at that date or whether they were still made by hand. Imagine what good eyesight would be needed to make the eye of a needle!

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Davran
    Trawling through 1851 Solihull, I came across the occupation of needle pointer.....Imagine what good eyesight would be needed to make the eye of a needle!
    Better than being the needle point tester........

ouch........that okay
    ouch........that okay
    ouch........that okay

Knowledgeable and helpful

If Frame Work Knitting is of further interest you might care to visit the second site below....it'll have you in stitches The link was on the home page of Leicestershire Roots website. The East Midlands was very much the heart of the FWK cottage industry and there is even a museum dedicated to the craft at Wigston near Leicester.
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

GeoffD

Quote Originally Posted by Procat
    Hi Geoff,

Again from the Dictionary of Old Trades & Occupations by Andrew & Sandra Twining there is this for what it is worth:

Link Boy

A boy who carried a torch to accomodate passengers with light.

Fringe Man does not rate a mention.
    Why didn't I think of that. I even knew what a 'link' was - it just fell out of my head, is all.

And the Fringe Man is in an area with a considerable number of Drapers and suchlike, so the garment fringe idea sort of makes sense. No Lacemakers yet in Exeter, but I had a lot in the Hemyock transcription task.
    Last edited by GeoffD; 25-01-2006 at 12:23 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12