Maud Jarvis

Question COPELAND /GRANT Derbyshire

Seeking any information re MARY HANNAH COPELAND, she married George Nelson Grant in St Alkmunds, 1868.

Mary was daughter of William Copeland & Benedicta Harris

Mary & George had the following children, Effie b.1869 George Nelson b.1870 & Mabel (my g.mother) b.3874, the family were then living at London St Litchurch

In 1881 census (the only entry I could find for them, was in Scotland, Perth) only Mabel was with them, their son George Nelson was in the Fechney Industrial School (still trying to obtain info about that) dau Effie was with he g.mother (Euphemia Martin (previously Grant) in Edinburgh son Edward (born to George`s first wife Mary Plews Street) was in lodgings in Edinburgh

In 1889 my g.mother was sent as a supposed orphan to Ontario, Canada. she revealed to the Home there, that her father was alive in 1890, & was at that time livijg in Birmingham. No mention was made concerning Mary Hannah, so although I have to assume so, she must have died between 1881 & 1889? I have been unable to trace her death in the indexes for England or Scotland.

By the 1891 & 1901 census, George Nelson Grant has now another wife (Annie ?) unable to trace any marriage for them) they were then living in London. George Nelson died in 1919 living by then in Leicester, where Mary Hannah`s brother had moved to from Derby, probably around 1890

I would love to contact anyone who may be researching the Copeland family and have information about Mary Hannah, that they could share with me??

Dear Maud,

You don't give an estimated age or date of birth for your Mary Hannah COPELAND. If you can give me some idea, I'd be happy to look her up in the 1851 Census Index of Derby.

Regards and best wishes

gjbull

Hi Maud
    There was a William Copeland living at (or working from) 29 Nuns Street Derby in 1857. His occupation was "Painter". This info is from "The 1857 History, Gazetteer and Directory of Derbyshire & Sheffield - F White". Its an ACDB that I received this morning (Part of an "Irresistible" Derbyshire Collection). Hope its of use/interest
    Regards
    Graham