Brian

Default Dr Barnado's North Elmham?

I was looking at ebay today and came across a postcard of
    "Dr Barnado's Homes The Watts Naval Training School North Elmham" c1910

Obviously this was a substantial building, can anybody tell me what it was prior to Dr Barnado's and what happened to it?

It's at:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ORIGINAL-POSTC...QQcmdZViewItem

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    Obviously this was a substantial building, can anybody tell me what it was prior to Dr Barnado's and what happened to it?
    It was a school from about 1870 to 1906. Have a look at the following website for its history as Watts Naval Training school
    https://www.trainingships.royalnavy.co.uk/watts.htm

There's another photo of the place on:
    https://www.genealogy.doun.org/transc...ument_id=11291

Geoffers

Brian

Thanks Geoffers

I had never heard of it and was quite intrigued that such a large establishment should be built as a school in the 1870's in mid-Norfolk. I wondered if it had been converted from an old estate but then found that the County School foundation stone was laid by the Prince of Wales no less. You live and learn! Thanks, as always, for your help.
    Brian

Starting to feel at home

I was at watts school from april 45 until september 1949, the school closed as a naval estabilishment just after, the boys who wanted to join the navy were sent Parkstone Sea Training School at Poole in Dorset and the rest stayed at Watts. The school closed in 1951. Most of the school has been demolished, we had a reunion in 2003, it was sad to see, the only bit left was the Captains rooms and the back stairs which i had to clean every morning about 6.30 Edward Jones no 183 Sturdee division 1945/1949

Brian

Thanks for your inputs especially Edward. Such a shame so many of these buildings are demolished rather than re-used, but I suppose a lot of it is to do with the cost of keeping them in use.

Starting to feel at home

The building was first used as a college for young farmers. WATTS was the name of the man who bought it. Its was then nearly rebuilt on the lines of a ship. 1903 opened as Watts naval training school. I was there from 1945 to 1949 when the school ceased to train young sailors and the boys and officers moved to an existing school at parkstone which was Russel coates naval school which trained young boys for the merchant navy. Its was renamed parkestone sea training school and then trained boys for the royal navy.

Starting to feel at home

My g grandfather was station master in the late 1800's at the county school station. The station was built to serve the hall/school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_...ailway_station

Starting to feel at home

Default County school Station

Quote Originally Posted by tokyoklm View Post
    My g grandfather was station master in the late 1800's at the county school station. The station was built to serve the hall/school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_...ailway_station
    The line between North elmham and Dereham was closed by Dr beeching. When we had our centenary Meeting in 2003 Volunteers were in the process of restoring the line. That short train trip meant a lot to us boys because once a month we were allowed to go to Dereham on a Saturday afternoon. I have a few photos of the station taken on the day

Starting to feel at home

I visited the county school station last summer, it's been restored and I think there are plans to open up the line again. The station masters house is still lived in at looks to be in excellent condition.

During my visit I could truly say I was walking in the footsteps of my ancestors. It's possible that my granddad and one of his brothers were born in the station house. Sadly, it's also possible that my G Grandmother died in the house. From the records I have my G grandfather was station master at Roudam Junction, Norfolk. But, in 1886 he became the station master at the county school station. Sometime after 1901 he moved to Wendling station to become the station master. Which is where he stayed until he retired.
    To date I have found 15 ancestors who worked for the railways from the late 1800's to mid 1900's.
    It's a great shame that the hall is no more, but as they say that's the price of progress. Which I feel is wrong. That building would have historical value if still standing today. I bet you have memories of your time there and your days out to Dereham.

Regards Phil